Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/09/28 04:25:24 UTC

$ThisRev$ keyword (not a joke... I think)

You know what I really want?  A keyword "$ThisRev$" that expands at
commit time to "revision N", i.e., it's not a keyword thereafter.
That way I could write comments like

    /* As of $ThisRev$, this code no longer does blah, because [...] */

without having to guess at the upcoming revision number :-).

Of course, they way keywords are currently handled, one would still
have to set a property for $ThisRev$ to get expanded correctly, but
maybe we could make it a config option or something...

Thoughts?  Flames?  Rotten tomatos? :-)

-K

Re: $ThisRev$ keyword (not a joke... I think)

Posted by Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu>.
On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 11:25:24PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> You know what I really want?  A keyword "$ThisRev$" that expands at
> commit time to "revision N", i.e., it's not a keyword thereafter.
> That way I could write comments like
>
>     /* As of $ThisRev$, this code no longer does blah, because [...] */
>
> without having to guess at the upcoming revision number :-).
>
> Of course, they way keywords are currently handled, one would still
> have to set a property for $ThisRev$ to get expanded correctly, but
> maybe we could make it a config option or something...
>
> Thoughts?  Flames?  Rotten tomatos? :-)

How about a general-purpose syntax similar to $xyz$ which just
substitutes once?  Perhaps $OnCommit$xyz$?  I could see it being
useful for other keywords as well.

--
=Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and