Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Len Kranendonk <le...@primaat.com> on 2005/11/09 12:34:24 UTC

Seg fault with Image::Magick on FreeBSD

As soon as I preload Image::Magick under mod_perl2 on FreeBSD (5.3, 5.4 and 6.0) I
get a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" when I start Apache.

Without preloading it works fine.

What's the best place to report this bug ?

Re: Seg fault with Image::Magick on FreeBSD

Posted by Len Kranendonk <le...@primaat.com>.
> I'm going to have to eat part/all of my words here as there is no port for
> p5-Image-Magick.

There is a port ImageMagick which also contains the perl module
Image::Magick.
I've mailed the maintainer. Not sure though if he would be able to fix it as
he might
not be into perl.

Re: Seg fault with Image::Magick on FreeBSD

Posted by Len Kranendonk <le...@primaat.com>.
> Somewhere, it uses $& or one of those operators that change the regex
engine of
> perl.  I don't know if its been fixed in 5.8.7 or maint.

I'm running 5.8.7 and it still has this problem.

I'm currently working around it by not preloading Image::Magick and using
"require"
to load Image::Magick on places where it's needed. It works but it's
ugly....

Len

Re: Seg fault with Image::Magick on FreeBSD

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> If it helps, I am under the opinion that ImageMagick on a Linux box is
> causing segfaults under modperl1 & 2 and I identified the issue years ago
> but have just started tracking it back to ImageMagick.  I expect to be
> tackling this issue sometime very soon.
Ding!

Lightbulb!

We use Image::Magick under perl 5.8.3 at Liquidity Services, Inc on
Stuck on 5.8.3 because of Endeca.

Linux cron 2.4.21-15.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:18:24 EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

Somewhere, it uses $& or one of those operators that change the regex engine of
perl.  I don't know if its been fixed in 5.8.7 or maint.

Thats what causing it, some other developer here found a way around it, but I
forget what it is.  I'll bug him later today.

"Love is not the one you can picture yourself marrying,
but the one you can't picture the rest of your life without."

Re: Seg fault with Image::Magick on FreeBSD

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.