Posted to user@commons.apache.org by petitout <pe...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/16 17:01:48 UTC

[commons math] - complex matrix inversion

Hi,

First, congratulations for all your work !

I would like to know if there is a mean to inverse a matrix containing
complex numbers using you library ?
If not, do you know if it will be availble in a future release ?
If not, do you know how can I do ?

Thanks a lot,

Best regards,

Julien

Re: [commons math] - complex matrix inversion

Posted by petitout <pe...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your answer Ted!

my question now is : is there any solver which handles complex matrix in
commons math?

thanks!

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Modulo certain typos.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 16/03/2012 18:39, Ted Dunning a écrit :
> If you really must do this, use a solver and feed it the identity matrix.
>  That is, given the matrix A, solve the matrix system AX = I
>
> Any solver that handles complex matrix right hand sides will do this for
> you.  Iterative calls to a solver with successive columns of I can also be
> used to fill in columns of X.

In this case, you can create a FiledMatrix<Complex> using
MatrixUtils.createFildMatrix factory method (or just use a constructor
of the field matrix class you prefer). Then use
FieldLUDecomposition<Complex> to get the solver.

> But I strongly recommend you rethink the approach.  There are very few
> cases were inverting a matrix is a good idea.

I strongly agree with Ted here, direct inversion is often not the better
approach.

Luc

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.