Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by charly <cd...@appnexus.com> on 2017/06/21 23:11:10 UTC

Small value for IGNITE_ATOMIC_CACHE_DELETE_HISTORY_SIZE

Hey everyone,

We use Ignite 1.8 and see a difference in heap used when lowering the value
for IGNITE_ATOMIC_CACHE_DELETE_HISTORY_SIZE. I'm not sure to understand what
it's going to happen if we decrease that value on production. Could someone
clear that up for me please? From what I understand, deleted entries go in
that queue for cleaning, where one thread per cache is in charge of cleaning
the queue. But what if the queue is full? I might have missed that
information in the documentation, my bad if I did.

Maybe on the same subject, is it going to slow down the free up of the heap
after cache.destroy()? We have a use-case where we delete 4 caches at the
same time containing ~500k entries heavily indexed. When doing so, it takes
few minutes for the heap to decrease as you can see here
http://imgur.com/a/kPsSc . We would not want to extend the time to free up
memory even more.

More information about our setup:
 - on heap (we'll eventually move to off heap but back then we could not
make Ignite 1.8 to free up memory at all with our version of glibc. It would
work with jmalloc but that was not permitted on production at that time).
 - no backup
 - atomicity mode: atomic
 - cache mode: partitioned
 - cluster of 4 nodes
 - jvm options: -J-DIGNITE_LONG_OPERATIONS_DUMP_TIMEOUT=300000 -J-Xms12g
-J-Xmx12g -J-server -J-XX:+UseParNewGC -J-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-J-XX:+UseTLAB -J-XX:NewSize=128m -J-XX:MaxNewSize=128m
-J-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=0 -J-XX:SurvivorRatio=1024
-J-XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -J-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=10
-J-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=1000 -J-XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=10
-J-XX:+UseCompressedOops -J-XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -J-XX:ConcGCThreads=8
-J-XX:+PrintGCDetails -J-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -J-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps
-J-XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -J-XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=10
-J-XX:GCLogFileSize=100M -J-Xloggc:/tmp/ignite-gc.log
-J-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=49130

Thanks for your help,
Charly

RE: Small value for IGNITE_ATOMIC_CACHE_DELETE_HISTORY_SIZE

Posted by charly <cd...@appnexus.com>.
Thanks for all your answers Ilya!
Posted by Ilya Lantukh <il...@gridgain.com>.

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 7:31 PM, charly <cd...@appnexus.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>  - no backup
>>  - atomicity mode: atomic
>>  - cache mode: partitioned
>>  - cluster of 4 nodes
>>  - jvm options: -J-DIGNITE_LONG_OPERATIONS_DUMP_TIMEOUT=300000 -J-Xms12g
>> -J-Xmx12g -J-server -J-XX:+UseParNewGC -J-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
>> -J-XX:+UseTLAB -J-XX:NewSize=128m -J-XX:MaxNewSize=128m
>> -J-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=0 -J-XX:SurvivorRatio=1024
>> -J-XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -J-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFr
>> action=10
>> -J-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=1000 -J-XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=10
>> -J-XX:+UseCompressedOops -J-XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -J-XX:ConcGCThreads=8
>> -J-XX:+PrintGCDetails -J-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -J-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps
>> -J-XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -J-XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=10
>> -J-XX:GCLogFileSize=100M -J-Xloggc:/tmp/ignite-gc.log
>> -J-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=49130

Best regards,
Ilya

Re: Small value for IGNITE_ATOMIC_CACHE_DELETE_HISTORY_SIZE

Posted by charly <cd...@appnexus.com>.

________________________________
http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/Small-value-for-IGNITE-ATOMIC-CACHE-DELETE-HISTORY-SIZE-tp14037p14182.html

Posted by Ilya Lantukh <il...@gridgain.com>.
Hi Charly,

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 2:11 AM, charly <cd...@appnexus.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> We use Ignite 1.8 and see a difference in heap used when lowering the value
> for IGNITE_ATOMIC_CACHE_DELETE_HISTORY_SIZE. I'm not sure to understand
> what
> it's going to happen if we decrease that value on production. Could someone
> clear that up for me please? From what I understand, deleted entries go in
> that queue for cleaning, where one thread per cache is in charge of
> cleaning
> the queue. But what if the queue is full? I might have missed that
> information in the documentation, my bad if I did.
>
> Maybe on the same subject, is it going to slow down the free up of the heap
> after cache.destroy()? We have a use-case where we delete 4 caches at the
> same time containing ~500k entries heavily indexed. When doing so, it takes
> few minutes for the heap to decrease as you can see here
> http://imgur.com/a/kPsSc . We would not want to extend the time to free up
> memory even more.
>
> More information about our setup:
>  - on heap (we'll eventually move to off heap but back then we could not
> make Ignite 1.8 to free up memory at all with our version of glibc. It
> would
> work with jmalloc but that was not permitted on production at that time).
>  - no backup
>  - atomicity mode: atomic
>  - cache mode: partitioned
>  - cluster of 4 nodes
>  - jvm options: -J-DIGNITE_LONG_OPERATIONS_DUMP_TIMEOUT=300000 -J-Xms12g
> -J-Xmx12g -J-server -J-XX:+UseParNewGC -J-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
> -J-XX:+UseTLAB -J-XX:NewSize=128m -J-XX:MaxNewSize=128m
> -J-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=0 -J-XX:SurvivorRatio=1024
> -J-XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -J-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction
> =10
> -J-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=1000 -J-XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=10
> -J-XX:+UseCompressedOops -J-XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -J-XX:ConcGCThreads=8
> -J-XX:+PrintGCDetails -J-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -J-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps
> -J-XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -J-XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=10
> -J-XX:GCLogFileSize=100M -J-Xloggc:/tmp/ignite-gc.log
> -J-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=49130
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Charly

Best regards,
Ilya