Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2018/12/01 01:23:31 UTC

Re: [numbers] Fraction() and Knuth 4.5.1 -- overflow, BigInteger, long, and rounding

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 15:56:54 -0800, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> Here is what I propose for the Fraction doc text regarding this
> issue:
>
>      * Implement add and subtract. This algorithm is similar to that
>      * described in Knuth 4.5.1. while making some concessions to
>      * performance. Note Knuth 4.5.1 Exercise 7, which observes that
>      * adding two fractions with 32-bit numerators and denominators
>      * requires 65 bits in extreme cases. Here calculations are
> performed
>      * with 64-bit longs and the BigFraction class is recommended for
> numbers
>      * that may grow large enough to be in danger of overflow.

Does this mean that computations can "unpredictably" overflow
(or throw an exception)?
Is it acceptable, or should we enclose the problematic code in
a "try" block and redo the computation with "BigInteger" when
necessary?

What is the performance hit of using "BigFraction" rather than
"Fraction"?
Are there use-cases that would need the ultimate performance from
"Fraction" while not worry about overflow?

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi Eric.

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 10:01:39 -0800, Eric Barnhill wrote:

>> Does this mean that computations can "unpredictably" overflow
>> (or throw an exception)?
>>

> The ArithmeticUtils() methods mulAndCheck and addAndCheck throw
> exceptions
> if there is overflow during primitive operations. That is the "check"
> part
> of the method name.
>

>> Is it acceptable, or should we enclose the problematic code in
>> a "try" block and redo the computation with "BigInteger" when
>> necessary?
>>
>> What is the performance hit of using "BigFraction" rather than
>> "Fraction"?
>>

> I once used BigDecimal for a project, it is great code but the
> performance
> is nothing close to using primitives.
>

>> Are there use-cases that would need the ultimate performance from
>> "Fraction" while not worry about overflow?
>>

> You would need a greatest common factor between the two fractions
> that was
> larger than 64 bits.
>
> Again, BigFraction is there for anyone worried about such a case and
> there
> is no significant performance hit to switching over to BigFraction
> compared
> to a Fraction class that was using BigInteger under the hood. But I
> suspect  there would be a substantial performance gain if longs were
> being
> used under the hood for the Fraction class for the more common use
> case of
> smaller fractions. If it would be best practice, a bit of
> microbenchmarking
> could be done to check.
>
> A FractionOverflowException could be specifically tailored to this
> use case
> and the error message can suggest using BigFraction. Or as you
> suggest, the
> catch block could silently or with warning return a BigFraction. If
> we have
> class inheritance straight, and both Fraction and BigFraction have
> the
> exact same interface, this could be an elegant solution.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that only intermediate results
would require "BigInteger"; if the result needs to be converted to
"BigFraction", than I'd favour raising an exception (with the advice
which you mention).
If later on someone comes up with a use-case for the alternate
solution,
we can revisit.

Regards,
Gilles