Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rauf Khan <mk...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/01 08:15:13 UTC

problem w.r.t javascript

Hi,

   Iam trying to validate a simple form which has a name, password & email
field. I have validated that name field(html:text) should contain only
characters, password field(html:text) contains only numbers & email
field(html:text) should contain proper email id.

  When i enter only numbers in name field, only characters in password field
& an invalid email id then only alert msg "please enter only characters" is
coming for name field & msg "pls enter only numbers for password field' *BUT
* no msg is coming for email field even though i have entered a wrong email
id. Also those two msgs are coming simultaneously but i want like this, i
mean to say when i click on submit button first only msg for name field
should show. Then again if i click submit button then msg for password field
should show & so on.

  Also suppose if i enter the proper name (only characs) , proper password
(only numbers) & if i enter the invalid email id then it will show the msg"
please enter a valid email address".

 Iam sending the following code for reference :

Validation.xml
---------------------
<!-- compose form Validation-->
 <form name="InfoForm">
    <field  property="fname"
depends="required,mask,minlength,maxlength">
  <arg key="ComposeForm.fname"  position="0"/>
  <msg name="mask" key="ComposeForm.OnlyChars"/>
         <var>
           <var-name>mask</var-name>
           <var-value>^[a-zA-Z]*$</var-value>
        </var>
  <msg name="minlength" key="ComposeForm.fname.minlength"/>
  <arg name="minlength" key="${var:minlength}"  resource="false"
position="1"/>
      <var>
            <var-name>minlength</var-name>
            <var-value>5</var-value>
      </var>
  <msg name="maxlength" key="ComposeForm.fname.maxlength"/>
  <arg name="maxlength" key="${var:maxlength}" resource="false"
position="2"/>
           <var>
                 <var-name>maxlength</var-name>
                 <var-value>6</var-value>
          </var>
 </field>
     <field  property="password" depends="required,mask">
           <arg key="ComposeForm.password"  position="0"/>
         <msg name="mask" key="ComposeForm.OnlyNumbers"/>
             <var>
                         <var-name>mask</var-name>
                         <var-value>^[0-9]*$</var-value>
                     </var>
      </field>
      <field  property="email" depends="required,email">
          <arg key="ComposeForm.email"  position="0"/>
          <msg name="email" key="ComposeForm.InvalidEmail"  position="0"/>
      </field>
 </form>

MessageResources.properties:
#- validations for compose.jsp --
ComposeForm.fname = Please enter the Name.
ComposeForm.password = Please enter the Password.
ComposeForm.email = Please enter the Email.
ComposeForm.OnlyNumbers = Please enter only numbers
ComposeForm.OnlyChars = Please enter only characters
ComposeForm.InvalidEmail = Please enter a valid Email address.
ComposeForm.OnlyNumbersChars = Please enter only numbers & characters
ComposeForm.fname.minlength = First Name cannot be less than  {1}
characters.
ComposeForm.fname.maxlength  = First Name cannot be greater than  {2}
characters.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rauf Khan

Re: problem w.r.t javascript

Posted by Rauf Khan <mk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Velmurugan,

   Thanks for the link.

   Iam learning struts, after going through this link only iam able to
modify my code.  The code given in this site works fine. But the problem is
in the "name field" modify depends="required, mask, minlength, maxlength",
In "address field" modify depends="required, mask" & in "email field" modify
depends="required, email" then wht will happens is :

 if u enter a wrong name, address, email then the alert msg will be shown
only for name & address field but the alert msg will not be shown for the
email field.

   Is it some thing like that "All alert w.r.t required will be shown for
the first time", THEN "All msg w.r.t mask will be shown for the second
time", & so on?

  Pls have a look to my code below.

Regards
Rauf

Re: problem w.r.t javascript

Posted by Rauf Khan <mk...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: problem w.r.t javascript

Posted by Adam Gordon <ad...@readytalk.com>.
Rauf-

Are you doing client or server-side validation?  Or both?

W.R.T your multiple errors, there is an attribute you can set in your
struts XML file, namely:

|  <plug-in className="org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorPlugIn">
    <set-property property="pathnames"
                            value="/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml,/WEB-INF/validations.xml"/>