Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2015/11/03 23:57:00 UTC

Should freemarker.org remain the canonical domain?

Infra has managed to set up the DNS (but some other issue has popped
up, so now I suddenly can't update the site content, so we are still
screwed... a different mater anyway). But to my surprise, they
redirect http://freemarker.org to
http://freemarker.incubator.apache.org/ (via HTTP 301, temporal
redirection). When I asked infra about this
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-10604),
they said that it's how it normally goes, and I should speak to
trademarks@apache.org if I want to keep freemarker.org as the
canonical URL.

So, should I ask them? I believe that's the project's interest, so
personally, I'm in favor of keeping freemarker.org as the canonical
project domain, until we graduate from incubation. What do you think?

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Should freemarker.org remain the canonical domain?

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
My advise is to keep the domain for some time (years?), after all it'll be
the entry point for many users. Redirecting it to
the freemarker(.incubator)?.apache.org domain would make an easy transition
into ASF.

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: Should freemarker.org remain the canonical domain?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Makes sense

Jacques

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
freemarker.org is now our main domain yet again, means,
freemarker.incubator.apache.org now redirect to it, and not the other
way around. (5 months after I have surprised to find that
freemarker.org redirects to freemarker.incubator.apache.org it's kind
of silly, but back then I thought that this will be resolved quickly,
either this or that way.)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Guys, you both misunderstand the question in the same way for some
reason. freemarker.org already redirects to
freemarker.incubator.apache.org. That's exactly my problem. I expected
to only have freemarker.org (or freemarker.incubator.apache.org to
redirect to freemarker.org) behind which the content is served by an
ASF server, until we graduate. For that, I have to ask
trademarks@apache.org, and I'm asking you, if I should ask them, or
you prefer the current situation (i.e., having
freemarker.incubator.apache.org as the canonical URL).

I haven't intended to change our 10+ year old and nice concise domain
name for now, I have merely asked for the domain ownership to change.
So I was surprised by this development.

 Daniel Dekany

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lee <ev...@gmail.com>.
I think keeping freemarker.org as the canonical is a good idea.