Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> on 2008/09/05 23:43:30 UTC

Performance tuning

I'm starting to have some performance issues and I'm trying everything I
can to get past them.

I do have httpd serving out my css, javascript, and images in the css to
bypass tomcat.

Anyone have any updated or better documentation for configuring ehcache
than what we have on our website? I just looked, my cache file is 4.0
GB. I run a lot of publications, but that still seems unreal and is
probably hurting me. I'm running our recommended settings from the
production check list. What is going on here?

Also, anyone doing caching via httpd's mod_cache functionality?

Richard

Re: Performance tuning

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.uzh.ch>.
Hi Richard

[ ... ]

> I've updated docu. I need to figure out how to get that into svn now.
> The key is that we were changing the ehcache.xml file. That only
> provides defaults for caches created with only a name, not a list of
> parameters. Cocoon creates caches with a list of parameters, with the
> hard coded defaults set the same as the shipped ehcache.xml. However, to
> actually set those values, you must change the cocoon.xconf file where
> EHDefaultStore gets its values from. I don't have anything overflowing
> to disk, so it must be expiring. Otherwise I generate about 700 MB in
> overflow in a day starting from an empty cache. I did up my maxobjects
> to 30,000 to keep more in memory, but that can't account for the
> dramatic drop. Plus I do finally see the expire thread running under
> tomcat using jconsole.

Thanks very much for updating the docu. I will try to configure our
cache based on your recommendation.

Jann

Re: Performance tuning

Posted by Richard Frovarp <ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.

Re: Performance tuning

Posted by Richard Frovarp <ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
Jann Forrer wrote:
> Hi Richard
>

> I made some tests with mod_cache. Our problem was that i could not
> delete mod_cache entries (from our authoring environment), so that the
> publish workflow has no direct effect on the live page but you have to
> wait until the cache entry expires.
> If you can live with that drawback mod_cache certainly is a good and
> fast solution

Thanks for the information. I'll have to look into it some more.

Re: Performance tuning

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jann Forrer schrieb:
> Hi Richard
>
>>> I'm starting to have some performance issues and I'm trying everything
>>> I can to get past them.
>>>
>>> I do have httpd serving out my css, javascript, and images in the css
>>> to bypass tomcat.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any updated or better documentation for configuring
>>> ehcache than what we have on our website? I just looked, my cache file
>>> is 4.0 GB. I run a lot of publications, but that still seems unreal
>>> and is probably hurting me. I'm running our recommended settings from
>>> the production check list. What is going on here?
>>>
>>> Also, anyone doing caching via httpd's mod_cache functionality?
>>>
> I made some tests with mod_cache. Our problem was that i could not
> delete mod_cache entries (from our authoring environment), so that the
> publish workflow has no direct effect on the live page but you have to
> wait until the cache entry expires.
> If you can live with that drawback mod_cache certainly is a good and
> fast solution

We're using mod_cache for an application, it's blazing fast - especially
mod_mem_cache. The publishing scenario is indeed the major issue. It is
not possible (or at least not straightforward) to delete particular
pages, since a hash function is used to determine cache directory names.
You're lucky if you can publish at night (given that you have traffic
only from a limited set of time zones) and use e.g. a spider to
pre-populate the cache. If you have only a limited number of pages that
are frequently requested it might even be worth deleting the whole cache
when a page is published, since the cache will be popluated again quickly.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH