Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net> on 2002/06/24 19:27:14 UTC

Installation error using JDK 1.4.0: libawt and libXp

Hello Peter, and everyone,

In the message linked below, you respond to another user with a very
similar problem to mine.

http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users%40xml.apache.org/msg12493.html

I am using JDK 1.4.0, Tomcat 4.0.4, and Cocoon 2.0.2.  I do not have X
installed, and my CATALINA_OPTS environment variable is
'-Djava.awt.headless=true'.  After building from source, I get errors
trying to load the default Cocoon2 site.  The stack trace shows an
attempt to load an SVGSerializer using batik.  The error I get is:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Error compiling sitemap:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: libXp.so.6: cannot open

To be sure, I created a servlet that outputs
System.getProperty("java.awt.headless"); it returns true.

Can anyone provide any insight to this situation?

Thanks,
Ryan Hoegg

Re: Installation error using JDK 1.4.0: libawt and libXp

Posted by Paul Gilligan <pd...@oyap.net>.
Watch out for the JDBC problems under jdk1.4 as well :)

[Summary] Installation error using JDK 1.4.0: libawt and libXp

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Hello thought I would repost this with the [summary] thing in light of
some of the recent threads

SOLVED: Installation error using JDK 1.4.0: libawt and libXp

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Thanks for the idea, seems obvious once someone points it out :)

Well, although I wanted to avoid installing the X libraries as this
server has no other need for them, I went ahead and did it.  Lo and
behold, the error went away, and another was quick to replace it:

http://www.hoegg.net/error/cocoon-problem2.html

Scoured the archives and found several posts with similar circumstances.
Unfortunately, either the solutions were nothing new and did not solve
the problem; or, the problem ended up being unsolved or in some way
different from mine.   Here some are in case they may shed some light on
this.

http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users%40xml.apache.org/msg11495.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users%40xml.apache.org/msg12960.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users%40xml.apache.org/msg13501.html

Sorry to come running back to you for the third time.  I hope that the
answers to my problems will be more generally helpful in the archives or
the FAQ.  If/when I sort it out I will try to write something coherent
up for the FAQ regarding my use of JDK1.4 without X

Thanks,
Ryan Hoegg.

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: Installation error using JDK 1.4.0: libawt and libXp

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
I appreciate the quick and thoughtful response, Pete.  I changed
cocoon.xconf to use an interpreted sitemap, and succeeded only in making
a change in the error received.  It still is asking for libXp.so, but is
now buried in other errors.

I captured the error from my development server and posted it on my web
server here:

http://www.hoegg.net/error/cocoon-problem.html

It seems to me that there is something fishy about the headless awt
support in 1.4.0 when using Batik.  Is anyone successfully running
Cocoon2 this way?

As a side note, just wanted to say I am a new user of Cocoon and am
looking forward to this approach to dynamic web development.  Thanks to
all the developers for a great framework.

Thanks again,
Ryan Hoegg

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.