Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> on 2017/01/21 00:19:21 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-74: Add FetchResponse size limit in bytes

Hi all,

While looking at some code related to KIP-74, I noticed a slight
discrepancy between the text on the wiki and the implementation.  The
wiki says that "If max_bytes is Int.MAX_INT, new request behaves exactly
like old one."  This would mean that if there was a single message that
was larger than the maximum bytes per partition, zero messages would be
returned, and clients would throw MessageSizeTooLargeException.
However, the code does not implement this.  Instead, it implements the
"new" behavior where the client always gets at least one message.

The new behavior seems to be more desirable, since clients do not "get
stuck" on messages that are too big.  I propose that we edit the wiki to
reflect the implemented behavior by deleting the references to special
behavior when max_bytes is MAX_INT.

cheers,
Colin

Re: [VOTE] KIP-74: Add FetchResponse size limit in bytes

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Thanks, all.  I edited the wiki to reflect the implemented behavior by
dropping references to special behavior when max_bytes was INT_MAX.

cheers,
Colin

Posted by radai <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1