Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Darius Cooper <da...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/16 12:17:56 UTC

Maven Interships

A bit off-topic, but has the Camel team considered using interns for some
of its project-work?

In a recent   Adam Bien  podcast interview...  Robert Scholte.   mentioned
that there were about 10 contributors currently pretty active on Maven, and
that none was paid/full-time. It was all voluntary work. Meanwhile,
probably over 50% of the worlds Java projects use Maven. Sounds like the
team could use some help.

Often, it takes too much effort to bring a student/intern up to speed; but,
a large and well-known project like Camel may be able to attract students
from really good universities, who have already done useful coursework.

To be fair, one would need to give such students some interesting work, and
work that you really do want done. Yet, to be safe one could try to find
things that are less "core" and won't "break everything" if done wrong.

For coordination, one might even be able to find a Computer Science
professor who is interested enough that he can do some of the mentoring
role. With the right professor pushing for it, the University may even
grant a small stipend.

thoughts?

Re: Maven Interships

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 01:50:14 +0100, dariuscooper@gmail.com
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple of additional points...
>
> 1.  It's nice to mark some JIRAs as simple ones for novices to pick up,
> but I think such JIRAs aren't motivating enough. If there was a small
> "project" of sort, perhaps (only perhaps) one might be able to motivate
> participation around that.

We started last year with up-for-grabs, exactly with this in mind:
https://s.apache.org/up-for-grabs_maven
https://up-for-grabs.net/#/tags/maven

thanks,
Robert

> 2. I understand that the Apache Camel project is going to try Google
> Summer of Code 2019, where student. It requires someone mentor a
> student, so that could take quite a time-commitment... but, possibly
> someone who might not want to spend time doing more Maven JIRAs might
> think it fun to mentor a student who would fix them. Just a thought.

Re: Maven Interships

Posted by da...@gmail.com, da...@gmail.com.

Re: Maven Interships

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2019-02-16 um 19:33 schrieb Oliver B. Fischer:
> Hi all,
>
> I spoke with Karl-Heinz about this topic and suggested to support the
> project by finding sponsors. Im still willing to help to find sponsors
> for Maven's development.
>
> I also tried to provide patches for the Versions Maven Plugin. Simply to
> start to contribute. But it is even difficult to get them applied.
> Therefore I stopped as even my time is limited and I can't continuously
> ping the people.

So is the committer's time. I understand the frustration. I'd love to
see one, even halftime, paid dev for us. The ecosystem is too big, too
many use it, but too few work on.

Michael

Re: Maven Interships

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.
Hi all,

I spoke with Karl-Heinz about this topic and suggested to support the
project by finding sponsors. Im still willing to help to find sponsors
for Maven's development.

I also tried to provide patches for the Versions Maven Plugin. Simply to
start to contribute. But it is even difficult to get them applied.
Therefore I stopped as even my time is limited and I can't continuously
ping the people.

Just my 2c.

Oliver

--
N Oliver B. Fischer
A Schönhauser Allee 64, 10437 Berlin, Deutschland/Germany

Re: Maven Interships

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2019-02-16 um 13:17 schrieb Darius Cooper:
> A bit off-topic, but has the Camel team considered using interns for some
> of its project-work?
>
> In a recent   Adam Bien  podcast interview...  Robert Scholte.   mentioned
> that there were about 10 contributors currently pretty active on Maven, and
> that none was paid/full-time. It was all voluntary work. Meanwhile,
> probably over 50% of the worlds Java projects use Maven. Sounds like the
> team could use some help.

This is soo true...my spare time horribly degraded over the years...

> Often, it takes too much effort to bring a student/intern up to speed; but,
> a large and well-known project like Camel may be able to attract students
> from really good universities, who have already done useful coursework.
>
> To be fair, one would need to give such students some interesting work, and
> work that you really do want done. Yet, to be safe one could try to find
> things that are less "core" and won't "break everything" if done wrong.

Are you talking about possible open tickets in JIRA? Many have been open
for years...aren't they good enough for starters? I don't think we can
have one person to work on a single issue for months. At least, I can't
recall any which requires so much time.

> For coordination, one might even be able to find a Computer Science
> professor who is interested enough that he can do some of the mentoring
> role. With the right professor pushing for it, the University may even
> grant a small stipend.

That'll be great.

Regards,

Michael