Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by amit1400158 <ad...@qasource.com> on 2010/07/13 13:21:36 UTC

wicket in a mobile application.

Please tell me how successful is wicket in  mobile application??

Re: wicket in a mobile application.

Posted by amit1400158 <ad...@qasource.com>.
Arjun thanks for explaining me nicely

Re: wicket in a mobile application.

Posted by Arjun Dhar <dh...@yahoo.com>.
Check out:
http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/apache-wicket-powers-mobile-walmart-com/

Also, keep in mind Wicket is a server side component framework and like all
such frameworks it produces HTML, BUT as you will read from the link that it
allows you maintain consistent server-side code for components that could
generate specialized HTML for each mobile device.
+ It's AJAX support is pretty comprehensive.

The question is a bit vague but hopefully the above will provide you with
some clues.
..am learning the ropes myself heh :)

Re: wicket in a mobile application.

Posted by Martin Funk <ma...@googlemail.com>.
2010/7/15 amit1400158 <ad...@qasource.com>

> Is it favourable to develop android application in wicket or to use android
> sdk or any other framework??

as with so many other questions: it depends and there is no easy answer to
that.
There probably already have been written ephic papers on that subject.

Short answer that would come to my mind is. If you choose to develop a
webapplication using a servlet based framework like wiket you pbrobably
don't have to go far out our way.

On the other hand if you develop a andrdoid native app, it is possible to
come up with a user interface that gives a much better experiance to the
user. But still a server for the information you want to handle on the
device needs to be developed.

Either way, go ahead and have fun,

mf

Re: wicket in a mobile application.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:58 AM, amit1400158 <ad...@qasource.com> wrote:

> Is it favourable to develop android application in wicket or to use android
> sdk or any other framework??

You can't develop an Android application in Wicket.  You can develop a web
application that targets mobile phones, including Android.  Or, you can
develop an Android application with their JDK (or natively).  But a Wicket
app is a web app first.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

Re: wicket in a mobile application.

Posted by amit1400158 <ad...@qasource.com>.

Posted by Martin Funk <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Amit,

the market for web-apps specially designed for mobiles is rather new, the
technological decisions made in that area aren't quite settled yet. Its not
even clear if serving your content in an web-app is the best approach.
The biggest problem seems to be the big number of different devices out
there. Solving that is not really dependent on the framework you use for
developing the web-app. Though if you use wicket your toolbox is well set.
Since it is not possible to render the content customized down to every
device out there a classification of the devices needs to be done. Then it
is a monetary question to decide how many device classes ought to be
supported.
With wicket you might have the chance of developing the components once and
then render em using the html template that fits the device best. Wickets
style mechanism is a good entry point for that.

Ad 1.
It runs on the server side, no different jdk needed

Ad 2.
Firefox offers a plugin that lets you configure the user-agent string in the
header, so the browser can mimic another browser.
As many of the mobile browsers are WebKit based Google Chrome is a good
start to test with.

Ad 3.
err... not that I know of.

Ad 4.
Life will teach you

Ad 5.
same as 3.

Ad 6.
How should we know. Just go ahead and tell us about the experiences you make

mf

Posted by Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <re...@gmail.com>.
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@wicket.apache.org/msg48605.html

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.
What do you mean with "mobile"? Search for "walmart" on this list. Then you will find some informations about walmart using Wicket for mobile devices.

Stefan

Please tell me how successful is wicket in  mobile application??