Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/01/16 04:22:39 UTC

installshield

what is the status of the NT installer?  It would be nice to have it
working better before the next release.

Can I play with it?  What is the deal with the different versions of
InstallShield?  What one is Ben using?  What is the one that comes with
visual studio and how limited is it?

Just don't want to see it last minute again...

Re: installshield

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:
> Is the version in /export/pub/httpd/dist/ApacheIS.zip current?

AFAIK, yes. Certainly nothing major has happened since then.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: installshield

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > what is the status of the NT installer?  It would be nice to have it
> > working better before the next release.
> >
> > Can I play with it?  What is the deal with the different versions of
> > InstallShield?  What one is Ben using?  What is the one that comes with
> > visual studio and how limited is it?
>
> I'm using IS5. I believe the one that comes with VC is also IS5 but
> restricted to installing on your own machine (or something). So,
> presumably, you can mess with the IS stuff (which someone was going to
> put in CVS, weren't they?) and I can build it for the final release. I

Yea, someone was.  I guess someone would have to be someone that has them.
<g>

Is the version in /export/pub/httpd/dist/ApacheIS.zip current?

> don't believe IS put any restriction on who could run the "real" thing,
> so if Brian/I can find the various keys it should be possible for you to
> run the thing yourself.

Gotem.

Re: installshield

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: installshield

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Can't we just have it run a bat file that does the actual work or
> something?  Gee, haven't done a bat file in... erk... years.

In (I think) private email, Ben told me he intended to finesse the
issue for the htdocs/manual portion by having IS invoke a self-extracting
ZIP file like the one I put together for 1.3b3.  I don't see why we can't
do the same for the sources.  That would give us: Full==binary tree,
htdocs, and src, Minimum==binary tree, Normal==binary tree and htdocs.
Custom could let installer choose src and/or htdocs.

#ken	P-)}

Re: installshield

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > what is the status of the NT installer?  It would be nice to have it
> > working better before the next release.
> >
> > Can I play with it?  What is the deal with the different versions of
> > InstallShield?  What one is Ben using?  What is the one that comes with
> > visual studio and how limited is it?
> >
> > Just don't want to see it last minute again...
>
> Yeah, one would figure that creating an InstallShield script to copy a
> couple of dll's, an executable and some html files somewhere would take a
> reasonably intelligent person a couple of hours to figure out, right?
>
> Well, I consider myself semi-intelligent and I spent a day on it and the
> only thing I accomplished was to get frustrated enough that I put a hole
> in my wall smashing my head against it.

It is hot in here.  I want a hole in the wall.  Have been trying for
years, but either my head isn't hard enough or my concrete wall is too
hard.  <g>

Re: installshield

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> what is the status of the NT installer?  It would be nice to have it
> working better before the next release.
>
> Can I play with it?  What is the deal with the different versions of
> InstallShield?  What one is Ben using?  What is the one that comes with
> visual studio and how limited is it?
>
> Just don't want to see it last minute again...

Yeah, one would figure that creating an InstallShield script to copy a
couple of dll's, an executable and some html files somewhere would take a
reasonably intelligent person a couple of hours to figure out, right?

Well, I consider myself semi-intelligent and I spent a day on it and the
only thing I accomplished was to get frustrated enough that I put a hole
in my wall smashing my head against it.

-Rasmus