Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/25 15:23:55 UTC

fo:marker bleeding issue [fop 0.95 & FOP 1.0]

Hi,

In order to have "table headers continued" in my pdf output, I am using
markers. Everything works fine until there is more then one line on the 1st
marker and there is a second marker. If the 1st marker is more than one line
and I add a second marker, the marker bleeds into the table on the second
page (see attached pdf). One solution to to increase the @margin-top on the
region-body. The problem with that is  there are many times when the markers
are not needed and there is a huge whitespace where the markers would go.
For example, if the margin-top="1.0in", there would be a one inch whitespace
if the markers are not called.

See attached example fo and pdf. Page 2 of the pdf is where the problem
occurs. I need the table to start below "Table 3. Table Title Marker -
Continued".

I am not sure how to resolve this.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p29532209/testMaint.pdf.fo testMaint.pdf.fo
http://old.nabble.com/file/p29532209/example.pdf example.pdf

Thanks for the help

Re: fo:marker bleeding issue [fop 0.95 & FOP 1.0]

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Phil

I'm not sure. I'd have to do dive deeper into this. Could be tricky, too.
Maybe someone else has already looked into this. I know it's an issue
for a number of users.

On 30.08.2010 17:22:02 bonekrusher wrote:

> Hi Jeremias,
>
> Thanks for following up. In your opinion, how hard would it be to either
> create an extension (like what was used in 20.5) or implementing it in the
> next release?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil
>

> Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:
> >
> > The hard truth is that someone has to implement table markers to achieve
> > that. And that's going to be tricky which is mostly the reason why it
> > hasn't been done, yet.
> >
> > On 27.08.2010 19:31:44 bonekrusher wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi List,
> >>
> >> Can anyone provide some guidance on this issue?
> >>
> >> Thanks,

> >> many
> >> where
> >> would

> >> --
> >

> > Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: fo:marker bleeding issue [fop 0.95 & FOP 1.0]

Posted by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
The hard truth is that someone has to implement table markers to achieve
that. And that's going to be tricky which is mostly the reason why it
hasn't been done, yet.

On 27.08.2010 19:31:44 bonekrusher wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Can anyone provide some guidance on this issue?
>
> Thanks,
>

> bonekrusher wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > In order to have "table headers continued" in my pdf output, I am using
> > markers. Everything works fine until there is more then one line on the
> > 1st marker and there is a second marker. If the 1st marker is more than
> > one line and I add a second marker, the marker bleeds into the table on
> > the second page (see attached pdf). One solution to to increase the
> > @margin-top on the region-body. The problem with that is  there are many
> > times when the markers are not needed and there is a huge whitespace where
> > the markers would go. For example, if the margin-top="1.0in", there would
> > be a one inch whitespace if the markers are not called.
> >
> > See attached example fo and pdf. Page 2 of the pdf is where the problem
> > occurs. I need the table to start below "Table 3. Table Title Marker -
> > Continued".
> >
> > I am not sure how to resolve this.
> >  http://old.nabble.com/file/p29532209/testMaint.fo testMaint.fo
> >  http://old.nabble.com/file/p29532209/example.pdf example.pdf
> >
> > Thanks for the help

Jeremias Maerki

Re: fo:marker bleeding issue [fop 0.95 & FOP 1.0]

Posted by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Hi List,

Posted by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding. As Chris mentioned, there are some
limitations. However, you can email me directly to help get you started.
Markers are not my favorite subject, but once you get the hang of them you
can do some really cool stuff.

Phil

Posted by champagne_chary <an...@champers.co.uk>.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
On 18/08/2011 13:25, champagne_chary wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> Sorry to revive this year old post.
>
> I'm completly new to this and what you seem to have achieved -despite this
> minor glitch- is exactly what I would like to implement. However I'm a
> complete newb..I can see the fo but would be interested in seeing how and
> where you have placed the markers to achieve this.
> If you can post/ or pm me I'd be very thankful as hours of googling and
> failed attempts at pacing headers have lead to nothing but failure.

I don't think there is a way to simulate table markers properly in the
current FOP version. As the original poster indicates, he can getting
close to a working solution with regular markers but there are some
corner cases where it doesn't work. I am not aware of a way to get it
fully working, however, some of my colleagues have been looking into
implementing table Markers. This is on our TODO list, but I think the
planned implementation is still limited to 1 line of text in the header.
Vincent, please correct me if I'm wrong.

> Hope you receive this and can help.
>
> Thanks

Thanks,

Chris