Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Ruguo Yu <ji...@163.com> on 2022/01/06 13:03:29 UTC

Other rates are still valid when updating part rates in resource group

Hi Pulsar Community,
Currently, the resource group has four rates, including publishRateInMsgs, publishRateInBytes, dispatchRateInMsgs and dispatchRateInBytes, but other rates if previously set or updated will be invalid when we update part rates, which does not conform to the semantics of the `update` and makes it easy for users to generate confuse.

The purposr of PR[0] is to truly implement the semantics of the `update` to ensure that the other rates remain the original value during an update operation.

Obviously, this is a behavior change and it is necessary to let everyone know, please point out if you have other questions.

Thanks,

Ruguo Yu

[0] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/13543

Re: Other rates are still valid when updating part rates in resource group

Posted by Kaushik Ghosh <ka...@splunk.com.INVALID>.
Not clear what exactly the concern is (i.e., what "other rates" will become
invalid) on a resource group when a new rate is set.
Among the rates in each direction (dispatch/publish), the semantics are
that throttling will kick in whenever any of the *RateInMsgs and,
*RateInBytes is hit during an evaluation interval.

Regards,
Kaushik

Posted by Ravi Vaidyanathan <rv...@splunk.com.INVALID>.
Hi Ruguo,

When we were doing this feature it was decided that we will keep it clean and assume that the user will do a  read, modify, write. This will ensure that the user can preserve the current values if the intent is to do so.

Thanks.
Ravi.