Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by semog <e....@gmail.com> on 2009/05/23 00:58:51 UTC

NMS 1.1 Breaking API Change

This is a heads-up message for users of the NMS 1.1 library.  Two fixes were
made to the product that will break compilation of existing code.  When you
update to the latest version, you will need to update references to a couple
of fields and parameters.  On the positive side, these breaking changes are
obvious and will generate compiler errors.  They are not subtle changes that
are hard to find in your code.

Please see the following JIRA issues for more information:

See https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQNET-105
See https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQNET-101

The basic change is that the NMSPersistent field is no longer a boolean
value.  It has been renamed to NMSDeliveryMode and the type is the new
MsgDeliveryMode enumeration.  The NMSPriority field has been changed from a
simple byte type to the MsgPriority enumeration.  The Send() function
parameters now use these new enumeration types.

Best,
Jim Gomes

Re: NMS 1.1 Breaking API Change

Posted by Hiram Chirino <ch...@gmail.com>.
Nice!

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:58 PM, semog <e....@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a heads-up message for users of the NMS 1.1 library.  Two fixes were
> made to the product that will break compilation of existing code.  When you
> update to the latest version, you will need to update references to a couple
> of fields and parameters.  On the positive side, these breaking changes are
> obvious and will generate compiler errors.  They are not subtle changes that
> are hard to find in your code.
>
> Please see the following JIRA issues for more information:
>
> See https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQNET-105
> See https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQNET-101
>
> The basic change is that the NMSPersistent field is no longer a boolean
> value.  It has been renamed to NMSDeliveryMode and the type is the new
> MsgDeliveryMode enumeration.  The NMSPriority field has been changed from a
> simple byte type to the MsgPriority enumeration.  The Send() function
> parameters now use these new enumeration types.
>
> Best,
> Jim Gomes

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com/

Re: NMS 1.1 Breaking API Change

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Timothy Bish<ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 12:26 -0600, Bruce Snyder wrote:

>> > It probably shouldn't take more than a week to resolve those two,
>> > AMQNET-150 doesn't seem to actually be .Net client specific as the Java
>> > and CPP both seemed behave the same way when I ported the failing unit
>> > test over.  I've been trying to reproduce AMQNET-152 today without much
>> > luck so far, so I'm still not convinced there's a problem there yet.
>>
>> Now that these issues have been resolved, when will the next release
>> of NMS be completed?
>>
>> At SpringSource we're planning a point release of Spring.NET soon and
>> we need to coordinate this with the recent changes in ActiveMQ NMS.
>> Please let me know if there's anything that can be done to help out.
>
> Bruce
>
> We are actually in the process of getting things put together for the
> release, so it shouldn't be long.  Jim has tagged the code and is
> putting together the release binaries.

Great, thanks for the update, Tim.

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: NMS 1.1 Breaking API Change

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 12:26 -0600, Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Timothy Bish<ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, I'm aware of the two outstanding issues. Could you please provide
> >> a time estimation for completion of those issues?
> >>
> >> Bruce
> >
> > It probably shouldn't take more than a week to resolve those two,
> > AMQNET-150 doesn't seem to actually be .Net client specific as the Java
> > and CPP both seemed behave the same way when I ported the failing unit
> > test over.  I've been trying to reproduce AMQNET-152 today without much
> > luck so far, so I'm still not convinced there's a problem there yet.
>
> Now that these issues have been resolved, when will the next release
> of NMS be completed?
>
> At SpringSource we're planning a point release of Spring.NET soon and
> we need to coordinate this with the recent changes in ActiveMQ NMS.
> Please let me know if there's anything that can be done to help out.

Bruce

We are actually in the process of getting things put together for the
release, so it shouldn't be long.  Jim has tagged the code and is
putting together the release binaries.

Tim.

--
Tim Bish
http://fusesource.com

Re: NMS 1.1 Breaking API Change

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 10:44 -0600, Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Jim Gomes <e....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are 2 outstanding bugs logged against the 1.1 version as of this morning. Once those are resolved a release candidate will be cut.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of the two outstanding issues. Could you please provide
> a time estimation for completion of those issues?
>
> Bruce

It probably shouldn't take more than a week to resolve those two,
AMQNET-150 doesn't seem to actually be .Net client specific as the Java
and CPP both seemed behave the same way when I ported the failing unit
test over.  I've been trying to reproduce AMQNET-152 today without much
luck so far, so I'm still not convinced there's a problem there yet.

Regards
Tim.

--
Tim Bish
http://fusesource.com

Re: NMS 1.1 Breaking API Change

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Gomes <e....@gmail.com>.
There are 2 outstanding bugs logged against the 1.1 version as of this morning. Once those are resolved a release candidate will be cut.

- Jim

> This is a heads-up message for users of the NMS 1.1 library.  Two fixes were
> made to the product that will break compilation of existing code.  When you
> update to the latest version, you will need to update references to a couple
> of fields and parameters.  On the positive side, these breaking changes are
> obvious and will generate compiler errors.  They are not subtle changes that
> are hard to find in your code.
>
> Please see the following JIRA issues for more information:
>
> See https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQNET-105
> See https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQNET-101
>
> The basic change is that the NMSPersistent field is no longer a boolean
> value.  It has been renamed to NMSDeliveryMode and the type is the new
> MsgDeliveryMode enumeration.  The NMSPriority field has been changed from a
> simple byte type to the MsgPriority enumeration.  The Send() function
> parameters now use these new enumeration types.

Jim, any idea when the next release of NMS will take place?

Bruce
);'

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.