Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by ma...@vsnl.net on 2003/12/16 13:04:59 UTC

Downloading and installing James

Hi,
	I am new to James. I am running Windows ME with a java version 1.4. I intend to use James as a stand alone server – without the use of Pheonix.

I hope someone could let me know which file I should download at http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/apache/jakarta/james/binaries/ .

	I downloaded james-2.1.2.tar.gz from the above link. However when I tried to run the run.bat file I got

Warning: PHOENIX_HOME environment variable is not set.
 This needs to be set for Win9x as it's command prompt
 scripting bites

I hope someone could let me know how to set this variable. (I do not have Pheonix and do not intend to use it.)

Thanks to all who reply,

Regards,

Rio Mascarenhas

Re: Downloading and installing James

Posted by Dick Dowdell <dd...@argsol.com>.
To the best of my knowledge, James can only be run as a Phoenix
application.  If you don't have James running already, I recommend that
you use
http://www.wmwweb.com/apache/jakarta/james/binaries/james-2.1.3.zip for
your installation, as it is the current version and the download
recommended for Windows.

When I last installed James on Win2K, it automatically installed
Phoenix.  I assume that will be true for this installation.

Regards,
Dick Dowdell
Argosy Solutions