Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2003/07/02 17:30:57 UTC

Tabs in eclipse

Fopsters,

I can't see a way to coonvince the "Text Editor" or "Default Editor" to
use spaces instead of tabs when editing build.xml, for example.  I
resort in the end to emacs.  Has anyone else worked around this problem?

Peter
--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

Re: Tabs in eclipse

Posted by Eric Galluzzo <eg...@einnovation.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Peter B. West wrote:
>
>> The problem is that there are different editors.  The Java editor is
>> OK, but when you start editing xml files, for example, you get a
>> different editor - the Text Editor, I think.  And that beast seems
>> immune to instruction about tabs.
>

> Ah, yes. Text is text -- no indentations.
> You should get an XML plugin for XML editing. Last time I looked
> at xmen it still sucked (no tag autocompletion, and blocking
> autocompletion for the whole Eclipse), there seems to be some
> improvement however.

I like XMLBuddy (http://www.xmlbuddy.com/).  It's much better than X-Men
-- or at least it was when I last compared them, which was a few months
ago.  Unfortunately, it's free but not open-source, and it's been a long
while since a new version came out.  And furthermore, it doesn't
substitute spaces for tabs, as far as I can tell.  Even so, I've been
really pleased with it.  It has lots of "killer features" that I haven't
seen in many other places, such as autogenerating a DTD for XML files in
which one is not specified and offering autocompletion based on that.

For the specific case of Ant scripts, Eclipse (2.1?) includes a fairly
nice editor that has autocompletion and documentation for all the Ant
tasks.  I believe it's configured by default.  However, since in
previous versions of Eclipse I had previously configured all my XML
files to use the text editor, it didn't show up for me until I
explicitly set it to do so.

Anyway, back to lurking.... :)

    - Eric

Re: Tabs in eclipse

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Peter B. West wrote:
> The problem is that there are different editors.  The Java editor is OK,
> but when you start editing xml files, for example, you get a different
> editor - the Text Editor, I think.  And that beast seems immune to
> instruction about tabs.

Ah, yes. Text is text -- no indentations.
You should get an XML plugin for XML editing. Last time I looked
at xmen it still sucked (no tag autocompletion, and blocking
autocompletion for the whole Eclipse), there seems to be some
improvement however.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Tabs in eclipse

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.

--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

Re: Tabs in eclipse

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Tabs in eclipse

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Thank you both, but I have no problems with emacs as an editor.  It's
just that the built-in editor is more tightly integrated, which is
especially useful for small edits on existing files.

Peter

--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

RE: Tabs in eclipse