Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org> on 2004/04/30 09:07:24 UTC

OOME on building serializers block (was Re: Planning the 2.1.5 release)

Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 29.04.2004 19:48, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>>> There is a problem with the new serializers block. From the
>>> developers I seem to
>>> be the only one having problems [1], but today this issue was also
>>> raised by two
>>> persons on the users list [2]. Imagine what happens if this is
>>> released as it is!
>>
>> I seriously suspect that it breaks because of memory leaks in JavaC
>
> Might be.
>
>> when doing a full cocoon build, from the beginning with a lot of
>> blocks enabled.
>

> I tested it with only the serializers block enabled: OutOfMemoryError.
> While I can build Cocoon with all blocks enabled except serializers block.

same here

> Something special must be about this block's sources, maybe the huge
> arrays.
>
>> I'm sure that if that block could be built easily if the "javac" task
>> "fork" attribute can be set to true...
>

> This might work for the build system, but not for Eclipse or other IDEs.

well, I just modify the project/properties in eclipse and throw away the
block sources from the build path... that just works

would be nice though if we had a version of the 'eclipse-project' target
that would do it for me by taking into account the
local.blocks.properties (hey, was that a hint?)

regards,
-marc=

Re: OOME on building serializers block (was Re: Planning the 2.1.5 release)

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

On 30 Apr 2004, at 19:30, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> PS. "GIZA" comes from Jeremy... Spending too much time w/ that guy
> lately! :-P

I think you mean "geezer" or "geeza" ;-) ... see
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/g.htm

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/

Re: OOME on building serializers block (was Re: Planning the 2.1.5 release)

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 30 Apr 2004, at 08:07, Marc Portier wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:

>>> I seriously suspect that it breaks because of memory leaks in JavaC
>> Might be.
>>> when doing a full cocoon build, from the beginning with a lot of
>>> blocks enabled.
>> I tested it with only the serializers block enabled:
>> OutOfMemoryError. While I can build Cocoon with all blocks enabled
>> except serializers block.
>
> same here
>
>> Something special must be about this block's sources, maybe the huge
>> arrays.
>>> I'm sure that if that block could be built easily if the "javac"
>>> task "fork" attribute can be set to true...
>> This might work for the build system, but not for Eclipse or other
>> IDEs.
>
> well, I just modify the project/properties in eclipse and throw away
> the block sources from the build path... that just works
>
> would be nice though if we had a version of the 'eclipse-project'
> target that would do it for me by taking into account the
> local.blocks.properties (hey, was that a hint?)

Unfortunately I'm not one of the few poor "giza"(s) using Eclipse, so,
got no clue of what you're talking about... :-P

Anyhow, I split up the block... The big-big OOME-generating part are
the charsets, and I've simply factored them out into an ignorable
subdirectory, with its own build file, generating a JAR which gets
copied at compile time...

Also, to generate the charsets you mostly need J2SDK 1.4, so, it might
have broken some other stuff... blablabla... Putting all into a JAR
solves the problem AFAICS...

Can the Eclipsers give it a shot?

	Pier