Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Tomer Benyamini <to...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/07 15:42:26 UTC

distcp on ec2 standalone spark cluster

Hi,

I would like to copy log files from s3 to the cluster's
ephemeral-hdfs. I tried to use distcp, but I guess mapred is not
running on the cluster - I'm getting the exception below.

Is there a way to activate it, or is there a spark alternative to distcp?

Thanks,
Tomer

mapreduce.Cluster (Cluster.java:initialize(114)) - Failed to use
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.LocalClientProtocolProvider due to error:
Invalid "mapreduce.jobtracker.address" configuration value for
LocalJobRunner : "XXX:9001"

ERROR tools.DistCp (DistCp.java:run(126)) - Exception encountered

java.io.IOException: Cannot initialize Cluster. Please check your
configuration for mapreduce.framework.name and the correspond server
addresses.

at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Cluster.initialize(Cluster.java:121)

at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Cluster.<init>(Cluster.java:83)

at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Cluster.<init>(Cluster.java:76)

at org.apache.hadoop.tools.DistCp.createMetaFolderPath(DistCp.java:352)

at org.apache.hadoop.tools.DistCp.execute(DistCp.java:146)

at org.apache.hadoop.tools.DistCp.run(DistCp.java:118)

at org.apache.hadoop.tools.DistCp.main(DistCp.java:374)

Re: distcp on ec2 standalone spark cluster

Posted by Frank Austin Nothaft <fn...@berkeley.edu>.
Tomer,

To use distcp, you need to have a Hadoop compute cluster up. start-dfs just restarts HDFS. I don’t have a Spark 1.0.2 cluster up right now, but there should be a start-mapred*.sh or start-all.sh script that will launch the Hadoop MapReduce cluster that you will need for distcp.

Regards,

Frank Austin Nothaft
fnothaft@berkeley.edu
fnothaft@eecs.berkeley.edu
202-340-0466

Posted by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.
Did you follow these steps? https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/AmazonS3  Also
make sure your jobtracker/mapreduce processes are running fine.

Thanks
Best Regards

Posted by Ye Xianjin <ad...@gmail.com>.
well, this means you didn't start a compute cluster. Most likely because the wrong value of mapreduce.jobtracker.address cause the slave node cannot start the node manager. ( I am not familiar with the ec2 script, so I don't know whether the slave node has node manager installed or not.)
Can you check the slave node the hadoop daemon log to see whether you started the nodemanager  but failed or there is no nodemanager to start? The log file location defaults to
/var/log/hadoop-xxx if my memory is correct.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Tomer Benyamini <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ye Xianjin <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tomer Benyamini <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Tomer,

Did you try start-all.sh? It worked for me the last time I tried using
distcp, and it worked for this guy too
<http://stackoverflow.com/a/18083790/877069>.

Nick
​

Posted by Tomer Benyamini <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
I think you need to run start-all.sh or something similar on the EC2
cluster. MR is installed but is not running by default on EC2 clusters spun
up by spark-ec2.
​

Posted by Tomer Benyamini <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ye Xianjin <ad...@gmail.com>.