Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> on 2012/10/24 12:38:39 UTC

AOO Logo concepts

Just going to put this logo concepts right here, still very rough concepts:
http://imagebin.org/233080
concpet 2
http://imagebin.org/233081
concept 3 (incomplete)
http://imagebin.org/233082

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/25/12, Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
>
>> Is a concept, basically a different approach based on this inkscape
>> visual element:
>> http://www.app-stick.com/images/screenshots/xinkscape.png
>>
>> Goal is to have a richer visual designs applied on the content. I
>> didnt finish it yet, but the goal is to have something to inspire
>> people to think different about the logo.
>>
>> I am also missing key effects from inkscape so I can't really
>> reproduce everything I want to. But this videos might inspire the
>> font-type and other concepts.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OaLZuFZxdk
>> and
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8XORGTMjIs
>>

> I like the effects.  I'm having difficulty reading OpenOffice from the
> point of view of a new prospective customer though. I can see the effect as
> background however.

yeah the "pen ffice" was just put as a placed holder, the submition 3
you can see a spyro-esque font built from shapes as opposed of using a
font-type. However the more I look at it, might be a good idea to
think of just a logo and not a word.

Think scribus, gnu, drupal, firefox for example:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/files/linuxjournal.com/ufiles/imagecache/node-page/nodeimage/story/Scribus_logo_11.png

Just having the infinity logo might do it. Anyway I didnt intend to
win hearts with the logo but rather think differently about what can
get without dumbing it down.

The second is inspire dinamism, this logo althought still rough, start
looking like water constantly flowing.

I will still keep working on it, but like I mentioned is more a
concept than a proposal, doesnt has to be pretty yet.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

RE: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Robert Kotula <ro...@wp.pl>.

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/24/12, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
> Just going to put this logo concepts right here, still very rough concepts:
> http://imagebin.org/233080
> concpet 2
> http://imagebin.org/233081
> concept 3 (incomplete)
> http://imagebin.org/233082
>
> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Draft 4:
http://imagebin.org/233093

Draft 5:
http://imagebin.org/233094

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 25 October 2012 09:24, Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On 10/25/12 8:56 AM, Graham Lauder wrote:
> > > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <
> jogischmidt@gmail.com

> are

> > > To be honest I think your statement is horrible and I understand that
> you
> > > won't achieve anything by it.
> > >
> > > "Horrible" is a statement of personal taste and really has nothing to
> do
> > > with what is trying to be achieved.  In other words if you can't be
> > > objective then step away from the keyboard.
> >
> > exactly and it was simply my personal opinion about the images. Well I
> > tend to say what I am thinking. Next time I will simply write a -1 or
> > --1;-)
> >
> > When we design a new logo, it should look modern, it should look new and
> > it should be professional. I am sure that some people have the skills to
> > create such a logo. But I also know that it is not so easy.
> >
> > But in these drafts I see nothing, I see that somebody played with a
> > graphic program yes but nothing else. I can do the same but the result
> > will probably the same.
> >

> This is the logo of the largest telecommunications company in NZ
>
> http://www.designassembly.org.nz/articles/telecom-reveals-new-logo

Wonder what that cost? :-)

Much the same of what you said was said about it.  However the proof has
> been in the pudding and is arguably the most recognised brand in NZ after
> Coke and the golden arches.  Subjective has nothing to do with brand, it's
> about creating recognition.  One of the problems with OSS projects is that
> branding is often the result of subjective reaction like yours without
> consideration of brand impact.  Frankly I don't care if the community
> "likes" it or not, the prime consideration should be how it performs as a
> brand.
>
> Does it demand attention
> Is it Unique
> Is it instantly recognisable

Rob's idea of a competition worked before when we did Otto the schools
mascot. It was a controversial image but in a way that helped because it
generated debate and raised its profile.

Did you see the logo for the London Olympics?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics Cost £400,000!

The good thing about holding a competition is that it has a chance of
gaining wider publicity outside the normal community. Publicise to all the
art colleges and schools as they are always looking for a focus for
students. That then publicises AOO in the education market place. Needs
some careful planning because it needs enough time to get the competition
out and time to do the design and then to judge. If there are a lot of
entries it could also take some time to sift through them.

and then

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
> > Just going to put this logo concepts right here, still very rough
> concepts:
> > http://imagebin.org/233080
> > concpet 2
> > http://imagebin.org/233081
> > concept 3 (incomplete)
> > http://imagebin.org/233082
> >

> Interesting approach.  But to me the brush strokes are more for
> drawing than text.  I wonder if it could be made more like an
> old-fashioned pen stroke, like calligraphy:
>
> http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo_of/alphabet/517671NZV/__alphabet__block_

I like the idea of a calligraphic style, it has a certain level of
sophistication while being artistic and conservative but stylish.  I had a
shot at it (very badly) in some of my earlier "Text as Graphic"
demonstrations, but obviously I'm certainly no calligrapher.  It is a
wonderful art form, I have some Japanese examples on my office wall.

As a style, it probably would have a good crossover between home user and
corporate.  Definitely worth further consideration

> Also, I wonder if it is worth having a public logo contest?  So define
> the constraints on the submissions:  allowed formats, font usage, must
> have (TM), etc.   Publicize the contest.  Maybe even have a prize, if
> we can find a sponsor.  Then have a public vote.  Narrow it down to 3
> choices and then the PMC decides.  Or some variation on this.

A contest at this point would probably be best.  In the past contests have
tended to marginalise those that put in the hard graft in the community and
then get ignored in favour of a contest.  However in this case we are more
likely to generate new contributors.

I would however suggest that a vote is not the best way.  Nobody ever got
to vote on a corporate Logo or brand.  We should set up a survey that ranks
subjective criteria while obtaining demographic data from the respondents.
This will give a much better idea of which branding to go with for a target
market.  It may even tell us that we need to have more than one brand, who
knows.  The logo also is only one element of a total brand package.  A
contest should include pallet as well at minimum and branding usage.

Cheers
GL

Re: AOO Logo concepts

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.