Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO)" <ha...@agenciaclick.com.br> on 2003/11/26 01:13:17 UTC

Re: [Avalon#] When shall we release it?

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]
Enviada em: terça-feira, 25 de novembro de 2003 18:49
Para: dev@avalon.apache.org
Assunto: Re: [Avalon#] When shall we release it?

> - How stable is it?

No complaints ;-)

> - How well-tested is it?

hmmm. I used in a project that is going to production about this month.

> - What about documentation?

There are a lot of docs here:
http://www.apache.org/~hammett/avalondotnet/index.html

Including the api docs. Its not updated, though.

> We'll at least need a bit of docs up on the website first (to direct
> people to who have questions). Other than that an alpha release* and
> making some waves seems a good idea. Release early, release often!

I liked the Alpha release idea.

We need someone to work on the logger and put this thing to work. Anyone?
I'll just have free time next year... If I survive :-)

regards,
hammett

Re: [Avalon#] When shall we release it?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Sergey Fadeev wrote:

> HVdOES> hmmm. I used in a project that is going to production about this month.
>
> Super!
>
> HVdOES> We need someone to work on the logger and put this thing to work. Anyone?
>
> I can do this next week if nobody else do it before me.
>
> Also Avalon# needs Selectors implementation or something else that can
> interchange this functionality. I also can get down to this next week.

Let's not until we REALLY need it.  I think we don't.  C# is its own beast, so
let's not force something on it when there is no documented need for it.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re[2]: [Avalon#] When shall we release it?

Posted by Sergey Fadeev <sf...@yarpivo.ru>.

--
Best regards,
 Sergey

Re: [Avalon#] When shall we release it?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:

>>- What about documentation?
>

> There are a lot of docs here:
> http://www.apache.org/~hammett/avalondotnet/index.html
>
> Including the api docs. Its not updated, though.

You've been busy.  Ok, I think we need to divide our site to include
Java and C# sections.

Please, let us loose the "dotnet" moniker because we do not want to
have any licensing or trademark issues.  M$ is pretty strict on these
things, and the "Avalon.NET" that M$ is selling is a graphics framework.
That kind of makes us choose something different.

>>We'll at least need a bit of docs up on the website first (to direct
>>people to who have questions). Other than that an alpha release* and
>>making some waves seems a good idea. Release early, release often!
>

> I liked the Alpha release idea.
>
> We need someone to work on the logger and put this thing to work. Anyone?
> I'll just have free time next year... If I survive :-)

Weren't we using Log4Net?  Isn't that "good enough"?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:
>
>>> - How stable is it?
>>

>> No complaints ;-)
>

> I ask, because what we're distributing this thing with is the likes of
> apache-httpd, mod_perl, tomcat. We need to attach some kind of
> "stability marking" to it based on our assertion of stability (and let's
> try and live up to the standards of the big boys, at least), and provide
> a "support level" with that.
>
> What is it, alpha, beta, rock solid, as mature as your granny?

It is the first public release--alpha on GP (general principle).

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:
>>- How stable is it?
>
> No complaints ;-)

I ask, because what we're distributing this thing with is the likes of
apache-httpd, mod_perl, tomcat. We need to attach some kind of
"stability marking" to it based on our assertion of stability (and let's
try and live up to the standards of the big boys, at least), and provide
a "support level" with that.

What is it, alpha, beta, rock solid, as mature as your granny?

>>- How well-tested is it?
>
> hmmm. I used in a project that is going to production about this month.

Does that project use all of the framework's features? Are there other
projects that use it? Perhaps something open source we can look at.

>>- What about documentation?
>
> There are a lot of docs here:
> http://www.apache.org/~hammett/avalondotnet/index.html

neat! I share Niclas' concerns about the images though.

We need to get this published on the main site. You know how?