Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2015/04/01 03:54:51 UTC

Re: automatic patch validation on TC

Thanks - that's great: not I'd be able to finish up the commenting part of the
patch validation!

Cos

Re: Fwd: automatic patch validation on TC

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:32AM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone with project admin rights check the permissions chema and see
> > if there's a tweak for 'Patch available' for different roles in the
> > project? i think there is, but i'm on vacation, really.
> >

> Cos, vacation is hardly an excuse :) Get back to work!

I don't think so.

Re: Fwd: automatic patch validation on TC

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Artiom Shutak <as...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Artiom Shutak <as...@gridgain.com>.
Hi, Cos,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
There's user ignite-ci, that I created a while ago, but it isn't mandatory to

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 04:38PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > If you look at the branch ignite-620 (as referred in the ticket) you'll see
> > the example at the very end. I am waiting to get this stuff committed, so I
> > can finish all the tiny bits that left, like commenting.
> >
> > Literally, all I need right now, is a review so I can commit the code
> > (which
> > is completely independent from the rest of the system) to unblock my
> > further
> > progress.
> >

> Cos, I think you should go ahead and commit this change. I think it was not
> on the critical release path and got delayed. We should definitely do a
> better job at reviewing all patches much sooner, rather than just letting
> them sit there.

Thanks, I will commit this tonight. And +1 on the fixing the review process.
Say, I was lucky that my patch wasn't touching anything in the existing code.
Just imaging for a second how painful the conflict resolution would be for a
core patch after a month of lagging?

Best,
  Cos

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Artiom Shutak <as...@gridgain.com>.
Ok, I've reopened the root issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-456 and will continue progress.

If there is any objections, let me know.

-- Artem --

Posted by Artiom Shutak <as...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 20.05.2015 21:36, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@gridgain.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I still insist that this should be implemented with great care.
>>
> I tend to agree with Cos here. Let's implement this feature. If we get some
> malicious contributor attaching bad patches, we will catch it very quickly
> and remove him/her from Jira. All it takes to catch something like this is
> a normal patch review by a committer, which is part of Ignite standard
> development process.

Exactly. This is one of the reasons why we make our repository, Jira,
commit notifications etc. public. Any number of projects have automatic
patch validation, and I've yet to hear about a single attack or exploit
that got in through that channel.

-- Brane

Re: Fwd: automatic patch validation on TC

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> I still insist that this should be implemented with great care.

I tend to agree with Cos here. Let's implement this feature. If we get some
malicious contributor attaching bad patches, we will catch it very quickly
and remove him/her from Jira. All it takes to catch something like this is
a normal patch review by a committer, which is part of Ignite standard
development process.

> Cos, can you please provide information on which projects used same
> approach?
>
> > Don't we trust our contributors?
>
> Well, you never know how they store the password and how strong it is.

Again, don't think it is an issue.

> > if TC agents aren't running as privileged user - and they shouldn't be -
>   malicious code won't do any harm to the system.
>
> Ignite tests should be able to do a lot of operations - establish network
> connections, accept incoming connections, start processes and access file
> system.
>
> In order to address possible issues we need to:
> 1. limit the tests scenarios launched on patch attach.
> 2. backup TC workers state once a day and store several days history to
> quickly restore the state.

And again, if something bad happens, we can deal with it in a normal
fashion.

I personally think that we are worrying about something that will never
happen. My preference is to get this feature out as soon as possible so our
contributors have a normal path to execute builds on TeamCity.

D.

Re: Fwd: automatic patch validation on TC

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.
Guys,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Sergey.

I can not re-attach an instance with the command you provided; also using
attach doesn't provide me with an interactive shell.

Clearly these instances are running sshd, but I have no credentials to log in.
Perhaps it'd be easier if we can jump on a skype call and quickly figure it
out?

Thanks for all your help!
  Cos

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Ah, darn - now I remember that the TC is in containers ;( Silly me - thanks
man: we'll check it shortly and report about my findings.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Just got confirmation that the password was changed. We must be very
careful going forward.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Sergey Bachinskiy <sb...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Guys,

Posted by Sergey Bachinskiy <sb...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Yakov

Yes, cli works on my local machine. In fact I am using this version of cli to

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@gridgain.com>.
Cos,

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.
Cos,