Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by je...@isscorp.com on 2002/10/28 21:22:25 UTC

Marker use for continuation of region-body information was:(Re: XSL-FO capability question)

Hi All,

Sorry to bring this issue up again, but I have a 'potential' requirement to
display continuation information.(i.e. "Continued on next page"/"Continued
from previous page") such that a document as seen below is possible:

Page 1
Some Static text......

region-body.....

Table heading...
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,

Continued on Next Page
region-after info

Page 2
Some Static text......

region-body.....

Continued From Preceding Page
Table heading...
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,

(I say potential because if I cannot do it....) I have tried the method
expressed in the attached message, but I have been unable to get it to
work. Also the requirement for the Table Heading to be repeated before the
rest of the table is causing headaches...... But I am trying these one at a
time. :-)

I have the document laid out properly and the end result is what I expect,
but this question is for 'nice-to-have' functionality.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

List:     fop-user
Subject:  Re: XSL-FO capability question
From:     "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>
Date:     2002-09-21 10:57:30
[Download message RAW]

Savino, Matt C wrote:
> I have been trying to do this for a long time and was told by the fop-dev
> group that it was the kind of thing you would need to write an extension
> for. I tried using markers, but as I remember they really couldn't create
> this kind of functionality.
>
> Can anyone please post a solution if you have one, or confirm that
markers
> do not solve this problem?

The following should work:
     <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
       <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="continuation"
         retrieve-boundary="page"
         retrieve-position="last-ending-within-page"/>
     </fo:static-content>
     <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
       <fo:table table-layout="fixed">
         <fo:table-column column-width="40mm"/>
         <fo:table-column column-width="40mm"/>
         <fo:table-body>
           <fo:table-row>
             <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="1pt">
               <fo:block><fo:marker marker-class-name="continuation"
                  ><fo:block>Continued</fo:block></fo:marker>
                 foo
               </fo:block>
             </fo:table-cell>
             <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="1pt">
               <fo:block>
                 bar
               </fo:block>
             </fo:table-cell>
           </fo:table-row>
           <fo:table-row>
             <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="1pt">
               <fo:block><fo:marker marker-class-name="continuation"
                   ><fo:block>&#160;</fo:block></fo:marker>
                 last
               </fo:block>
             </fo:table-cell>
             <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-width="1pt">
               <fo:block>
                 bar
               </fo:block>
             </fo:table-cell>
           </fo:table-row>
         </fo:table-body>
       </fo:table>
     </fo:flow>
   </fo:page-sequence>

The marker with the "Continued" text has to be placed in the first cell
in each row except the last. Unfortunately, FOP does not allow the marker
to be conveniently placed in the row itself. Other problems are excessive
memory consumption and problems with certain properties which are not
properly resolved for markers (use the same properties on every page for
the continuation text, and specify them on the enclosing block, rather
than relying on inheritance).

J.Pietschmann