Posted to scm-dev@maven.apache.org by "Sharma, Jaikumar" <ja...@barco.com> on 2006/07/07 14:58:11 UTC

maven-scm-plugin goals question

Dear all,

As I see at the following URL goals provided by maven-scm-plugin, these
goals are general goals, but at the same time,  certain actions  /
operations which are specific to a particular SCM does not really match (for
readibility / documentation reasons)  to these goals.

http://maven.apache.org/scm/plugins/plugin-info.html
<http://maven.apache.org/scm/plugins/plugin-info.html>

For instance, take the login action,  which I think every provider
implements for it repository, and in most of the cases with other providers
which are implemented, login has been wrapped in URL in the pom and there
itself login take place.

Is it not worthwhile to provide "login" as a seperate goal ? or there are
some good reasons to not to provide this ?

Next, I would appreciate, if somebody could point me to the purpose of the
following goals with repect to the provider repository :

        scm:diff
        scm:status
        scm:tag
        scm:unedit

If I do not implement any of the goals or only implement which are relevent
/ common goals which are relevent to my provider , then at the higher level
would I be missing any of the functinality provided by Maven ?

Regards, Jaikumar

Re: maven-scm-plugin goals question

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
Please do not cross-post between lists. More below.

On 7/7/06, Sharma, Jaikumar <ja...@barco.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> As I see at the following URL goals provided by maven-scm-plugin, these
> goals are general goals, but at the same time,  certain actions  /
> operations which are specific to a particular SCM does not really match
> (for
> readibility / documentation reasons)  to these goals.
>
> http://maven.apache.org/scm/plugins/plugin-info.html
> <http://maven.apache.org/scm/plugins/plugin-info.html>
>

> For instance, take the login action,  which I think every provider
> implements for it repository, and in most of the cases with other
> providers
> which are implemented, login has been wrapped in URL in the pom and there
> itself login take place.

Is it not worthwhile to provide "login" as a seperate goal ? or there are
> some good reasons to not to provide this ?

What would be the value in a goal that logs in, but does not perform any
actions?

Next, I would appreciate, if somebody could point me to the purpose of the
> following goals with repect to the provider repository :
>
>         scm:diff
>         scm:status
>         scm:tag
>         scm:unedit

If I do not implement any of the goals or only implement which are relevent
> / common goals which are relevent to my provider , then at the higher
> level
> would I be missing any of the functinality provided by Maven ?

Of course, but that's not important. If an implementation does not provide
for a particular goal, then it just will not be available. SCM is just like
any other API. Sometimes an implementation of an API cannot provide all
required functionality. Naturally, it is best to try, but if your provider
does not have "tag" for example, naturally that goal cannot be used
correctly.

Regards, Jaikumar

Thanks;
Eric

Re: maven-scm-plugin goals question

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Sharma, Jaikumar a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> As I see at the following URL goals provided by maven-scm-plugin, these
> goals are general goals, but at the same time,  certain actions  /
> operations which are specific to a particular SCM does not really match (for
> readibility / documentation reasons)  to these goals.
>
> http://maven.apache.org/scm/plugins/plugin-info.html
> <http://maven.apache.org/scm/plugins/plugin-info.html>
>

> For instance, take the login action,  which I think every provider
> implements for it repository, and in most of the cases with other providers
> which are implemented, login has been wrapped in URL in the pom and there
> itself login take place.

A login action is important for scm connection but not as a maven goal. Users prefer that the login
action is embedded in other goal, so it's transparent.

> Is it not worthwhile to provide "login" as a seperate goal ? or there are
> some good reasons to not to provide this ?
>
> Next, I would appreciate, if somebody could point me to the purpose of the
> following goals with repect to the provider repository :
>
>         scm:diff
>         scm:status
>         scm:tag
>         scm:unedit
>
> If I do not implement any of the goals or only implement which are relevent
> / common goals which are relevent to my provider , then at the higher level
> would I be missing any of the functinality provided by Maven ?

You can implement actions you want, missing actions won't be available in maven.

release plugin requires checkout, commit, tag and status actions
changelog plugin require changelog action
continuum require checkout, update and changelog actions

other important actions are add, remove ant list actions that are used by wagon-scm provider

Emmanuel