Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> on 2008/12/18 01:39:59 UTC

[VOTE] maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-3, maven-archiver 2.4, maven-common-artifact-filters 1.1

Hi everyone,

It's been quite awhile since we released a new version of the Assembly
Plugin, and there have been some important fixes. Along with the plugin
itself, its dependencies contain some improvements, and all of it is
ready to be released for use (at least, that's my opinion).

Since the assembly plugin depends on releases for maven-archiver and
maven-common-artifact-filters, I'm hoping to clear them all for release
at once. Some of the highlights for the assembly plugin and its
dependencies include:

- avoiding inclusion of duplicate paths by default

- allowing archiver configuration from the POM

- detection of file/dir mode, owner, group information on non-Windows
systems

- preservation of file/dir mode, owner, group information when archives
supporting them are unpacked into an assembly

- outputFileNameMapping/outputDirectory expression improvements

...and many, many other things.

You can find the staging repository for these releases at:

http://people.apache.org/~jdcasey/stage

...and, you can pick up these staged releases for use in your build with
the following addition to your POM:

<repositories>
   <repository>
     <id>jdcasey.staged</id>
     <name>John's Staged Releases</name>
     <url>http://people.apache.org/~jdcasey/stage/</url>
     <snapshots>
       <enabled>false</enabled>
     </snapshots>
   </repository>
</repositories>
<pluginRepositories>
   <pluginRepository>
     <id>jdcasey.staged</id>
     <name>John's Staged Releases</name>
     <url>http://people.apache.org/~jdcasey/stage/</url>
     <snapshots>
       <enabled>false</enabled>
     </snapshots>
   </pluginRepository>
</pluginRepositories>

Full release notes for the Assembly Plugin are here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11126&styleName=Html&version=13507

Release notes for Maven Archiver are here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11761&styleName=Html&version=14483

And sorry, I can't seem to find release notes for the Common Artifact
Filters project. This is probably because issues for this project often
show up in different projects...in this case, the Assembly Plugin.

Please take a minute and try out the new Assembly Plugin, and then vote:

[ ] +1...Go, man, go!
[ ] +0...Meh.
[ ] -1...Yeah, no thanks.

Here's my +1.

Thanks,

-john

---
John Casey
Developer and PMC Member, Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Member, Apache Software Foundation
Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp

[Result] [VOTE] maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-3, maven-archiver 2.4, maven-common-artifact-filters 1.1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@apache.org>.
This vote has passed with the following tally:

binding: John, Arnaud, Vincent S., Brett

non-binding: Petar, Trevor, Paul, Marat

I'll get this released asap.

Thanks,

-john

John Casey wrote:
> Sorry, I lost track of this. I'll get this finalized today.
>
> Dan Tran wrote:
>> what is the status of this vote?
>>
>> -D
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> +1 for all.

John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp/

Re: [VOTE] maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-3, maven-archiver 2.4, maven-common-artifact-filters 1.1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
+1 for all.

Re: [VOTE] maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-3, maven-archiver 2.4, maven-common-artifact-filters 1.1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I believe the vote passed, so I would release as is and revisit for a
2.2 after a short soak period rather than starting over now.

- Brett

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1 (x3)

Posted by tpounds <tr...@gmail.com>.
We've been waiting for several of these fixes for quite a while.

+1

-Trevor

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Vincent

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Did you add the staging repository? That's at:

http://people.apache.org/~jdcasey/stage

It looks like it's just checking repository.sonatype.org.

-john

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
I just pulled from the tag to build and try it with Maven 3.x and got:

Just me, or are there some deps not deployed?

Missing:
----------
1) org.apache.maven.shared:maven-common-artifact-filters:jar:1.1

   Then, install it using the command:
       mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.shared -
DartifactId=maven-common-artifact-filters -Dversion=1.1 -
Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

   Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the
file there:
       mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.shared -
DartifactId=maven-common-artifact-filters -Dversion=1.1 -
Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

[...]

While building project with id: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Sorry, but I'd really prefer to put that off till next release,
particularly since the issue doesn't include any sort of test for the
new functionality.

-john

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1...Go, man, go!

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

Arnaud

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> >      <url>http://people.apache.org/~jdcasey/stage/<http://people.apache.org/%7Ejdcasey/stage/>
> </url>
> >      <snapshots>
> >        <enabled>false</enabled>
> >      </snapshots>
> >    </pluginRepository>
> > </pluginRepositories>
> >
> > Full release notes for the Assembly Plugin are here:
> >

> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11126&styleName=Html&version=13507
> >
> > Release notes for Maven Archiver are here:
> >

> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11761&styleName=Html&version=14483
> >
> > And sorry, I can't seem to find release notes for the Common Artifact
> > Filters project. This is probably because issues for this project often
> > show up in different projects...in this case, the Assembly Plugin.
> >
> > Please take a minute and try out the new Assembly Plugin, and then vote:

Arnaud HERITIER
12 guidelines to boost your productivity with a Java software factory -
http://tinyurl.com/56s9tw
OCTO Technology - aheritier AT octo DOT com
www.octo.com | blog.octo.com
ASF - aheritier AT apache DOT org
www.apache.org | maven.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-3, maven-archiver 2.4, maven-common-artifact-filters 1.1

Posted by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>.
I tried it and I like it.

+1 (not binding)

Cheers, Petar.