Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/04 22:36:35 UTC

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release ace version 0.8.1-incubator subprojects

Time to call the vote on the ace version 0.8.1-incubator subprojects releases.

* +1 votes from Marcel Offermans***, Jean-Baptiste Onofré***, Toni
Menzel*, Bram de Kruijff, Angelo van der Sijpt*, Carsten Ziegeler***,
and Karl Pauls***.

* No other votes

The vote is successful. I will approach the Incubator PMC for approval.

* == PPMC
** == IPMC
*** == PPMC + IPMC

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release ace version 0.8.1-incubator subprojects

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Time to call the vote on the ace version 0.8.1-incubator subprojects
releases. As we didn't get any additional votes, I'm going to close
this vote with the original results from the dev list as follows,

* +1 votes from Marcel Offermans***, Jean-Baptiste Onofré***, Toni
Menzel*, Bram de Kruijff, Angelo van der Sijpt*, Carsten Ziegeler***,
and Karl Pauls***.

* No other votes

As we have 4 binding IPMC +1, the vote is successful. I'll make the
artifacts available as soon as possible.

* == PPMC
** == IPMC
*** == PPMC + IPMC

Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Release ace version 0.8.1-incubator subprojects

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Dec 8, 2011, at 19:23 PM, Karl Pauls wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that makes sense.

>>> Yeah, that makes sense.

>>> Ups, yes, I see - the LICENSE contains the notice section of the code
>>> under CDDL instead of the CDDL license itself (in the LICENSE see:
>>> Jersey and JSR-250 License). Don't think this is a blocker as it is at
>>> least saying it is licensed under CDDL this way but we need to fix
>>> this to contain the actual CDDL license text for the next release.
>>
>> Sorry, but I think the problems with the NOTICE and LICENSE file go
>> deeper than that.
>>
>> For example, for xstream, the license is at:
>>
>> http://xstream.codehaus.org/license.html
>>
>> This starts:
>>

>> Copyright (c) 2003-2006, Joe Walnes
>> Copyright (c) 2006-2009, XStream Committers
>> All rights reserved.
>>
>> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>> modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
>>
>> Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice ...
>> <<<
>>
>> However, the copy in the LICENSE file omits the first paragraph entirely.
>> Which makes a nonsense of of the third (now second) paragraph as it
>> references a non-existent copyright notice.
>
> Hm, but that copyright notice is inside the NOTICE.
>
>> The LICENSE file must contain the full license; the NOTICE file should
>> contain whatever notice is required by the license.
>>
>> I think the same applies to at least one other entry in the license
>> file (knoplerfish)
>
> Yeah, that seems to be the pattern. Again, the copyright notice is
> there but in the NOTICE. The licenses in the LICENSE files are missing
> the copyright header.

Summarizing this, for both XStream and Knopflerfish we only redistribute them in binary form. It requires us to:
1) "reproduce the above copyright notice"
As Karl states, we do that in the NOTICE file.
2) "reproduce this list of conditions"
We do, in the LICENSE file.
3) "the following disclaimer"
We do, in the LICENSE file.
The text further clarifies: "...in the documentation and/or the materials provided with the distribution". We do that.

I agree completely that this can be improved and I'll go and fix it in trunk asap - that should be enough, right?

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

> [ ] +1 Approve the release

As discussed in recent threads,
a "-1" vote for a release is not a "Veto".

-David

Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Release ace version 0.8.1-incubator subprojects

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.