Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by web man <we...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/25 18:17:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Basic HTTP authentication

Hi Guys,
I wondered if anyone could help me in here.
I am new to apache server configuration.
I would like to configure apache server to give
access to some files based on the usernames and passwords.
I got stucked in the middle of the configuration.
This is what I have done so far in the httpd.con file.

<Directory "c:/inetpub/wwwroot/http_cookie">
AuthUserFile c:/inetpub/wwwroot/http_cookie
AuthName "Enter Username and Password"
AuthType Basic

 <Limit GET POST>
 require valid-user
</Limit>
</Directory>

Please I wondered if anyone could tell exactly
what I need to do.
I used apache server 1.3.26 on win98.
Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] Basic HTTP authentication

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
web man wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I wondered if anyone could help me in here.
> I am new to apache server configuration.
> I would like to configure apache server to give
> access to some files based on the usernames and passwords.
> I got stucked in the middle of the configuration.
> This is what I have done so far in the httpd.con file.

<Directory "c:/inetpub/wwwroot/">
AuthUserFile c:/inetpub/wwwroot/http_cookie
AuthName "Enter Username and Password"
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST>
require valid-user
</Limit>
</Directory>

> Please I wondered if anyone could tell exactly
> what I need to do.
> I used apache server 1.3.26 on win98.
> Thanks

first, do not put the file name into the directory structure.
if that is the directory, then you are missing the password file name.
do you have allow overrides in place for .htaccess and .htpassword files
to work?
and I do hope that you didn't name the configuration httpd.con from
httpd.conf  that last f is required.

Re: [users@httpd] Basic HTTP authentication

Posted by Nelson Goforth <ng...@earthnet.net>.
You should check the mod_auth info at http://httpd.apache.org for
details.  You're likely going to be better off using .htaccess files
within the directory itself, unless somehow users have access to those
files.

Basically you need to set up a list of users and passwords via htpasswd
in some non-user accessible directory (as it appears you've done).  The
username refers to those names (not a string like "Ask for...")

Nelson

On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 10:17  AM, web man wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I wondered if anyone could help me in here.
> I am new to apache server configuration.
> I would like to configure apache server to give
> access to some files based on the usernames and passwords.
> I got stucked in the middle of the configuration.
> This is what I have done so far in the httpd.con file.
>

> <Directory "c:/inetpub/wwwroot/http_cookie">
> AuthUserFile c:/inetpub/wwwroot/http_cookie
> AuthName "Enter Username and Password"
> AuthType Basic
>
>  <Limit GET POST>
>  require valid-user
> </Limit>
> </Directory>
>

> Please I wondered if anyone could tell exactly
> what I need to do.
> I used apache server 1.3.26 on win98.
> Thanks

<image.tiff>