Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Dino Valente <di...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/10 20:06:44 UTC

[betwixt] - Xml and pojo mismatch attribute question

Betwixt allows me to specify attributes that do not
exist in my corresponding bean class with no error
messages or exceptions.

This may be a desired default behavior but how do I
make the betwixt library tell me that there was a
mismatch. Better yet prevent it from going on if there
was a mismatch?

Dino

Re: [betwixt] - Xml and pojo mismatch attribute question

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi dino

being able to specify attributes that do not exist in the corresponding
class is indeed a feature. you're right that a debugging/testing
facility would be very useful. i'm very busy right now (there's a lot
of releases need cutting ASAP) but maybe there are developers out there
(maybe yourself included) who might fancy a shot at this one. (i'm very
confident that it'd be an easy feature to add.)

so, the question is: what's the most useful way to add this feature.

am i right in thinking that this is really only a problem when
developing a mapping (using a dot betwixt file)?

if so, would a standalone tool sound like the best way to implement
this functionality?

Matthew Inger is keen on developing a graphical tool to help develop
mappings so maybe this could be integrated as part of that.

there's another bit of functionality that the REFACTORING branch
betwixt code (which i'm currently merging into HEAD) supports which
might be useful: schema generation. this would allow users to see the
xml likely to result from the mapping.

does anyone out there think that:

1 this would be useful to them (if bundled into a tool)?
2 they'd like to volunteer to develop this?

- robert