Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net> on 2017/07/25 16:53:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] Metadata server IP improvement

Hi

Speaking about VR improvements: I would like to change the way we need
to find the metadata API.

Currently we do something like "cat
/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.leases | grep dhcp-server-identifier |
tail -1" to find the IP of the service.

However, parsing a dhcp lease file is not the best option and it is not
consistent across OS levels.

OpenStack and EC2 AWS uses 169.254.169.254. Would it make sense to adopt
this?

René

Re: [DISCUSS] Metadata server IP improvement

Posted by Syed Ahmed <sa...@cloudops.com>.
I think we had a little bit of discussion around this at CCC. Config drive
really does solve a lot of problems with existing implementation of using
the Cloudstack Metadata provider for cloud-init. Overall it is a much
superior solution as pointed by Wido. However, we don't want to completely
remove the VR based approach as things like BareMetal still require it.

Thanks,
-Syed

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 25 juli 2017 om 18:53 schreef Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>:
>

> Hi
>
> Speaking about VR improvements: I would like to change the way we need
> to find the metadata API.
>
> Currently we do something like "cat
> /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.leases | grep dhcp-server-identifier |
> tail -1" to find the IP of the service.
>
> However, parsing a dhcp lease file is not the best option and it is not
> consistent across OS levels.
>
> OpenStack and EC2 AWS uses 169.254.169.254. Would it make sense to adopt
> this?

This has been discussed before and right now there is a PR for using Config Drive: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/2116

The problem with 169.254.169.254 is:

- It doesn't work with IPv6
- It doesn't work with Basic Networking
- You need to do iptables intercepting on the VR

Config Drive is a IP-protocol independent solution for getting metadata into the Instance without the need for IP connectivity.

Imho that's a much better solution.

Wido