Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "sehgal.prithvi" <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/18 10:45:39 UTC

What subversion (version) to use?

Dear All,

I am trying a very small example in maven till the cycle of continous
integration.
I will use continum as my CI server just for the start. I am using book
Better builds
with Maven and i have the following queries.

1- Which subversion version i need to use? Do i need to download tortoise
svn?
2- Do i need to setup a internal repository first in order to use subversion
and go uptil
continous integration? I think i will need to.
3- Any good reference over this cycle will be helpful. Though i will try to
follow Better Builds
with Maven.

Thanks,
Prithvi

RE: What subversion (version) to use?

Posted by Ilya Kazakevich <ka...@devexperts.com>.
You do not need SVN to work with maven although version control is very
usefull tool and it should exist in any project.
Tortoise is just a shell (explorer) plugin which helps communicate with svn
server. You can use command line client as well (and its much butter IMHO).

Here is a good book about maven:
http://www.amazon.com/Maven-Definitive-Guide-Sonatype-Company/dp/0596517335
And here is about SVN: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Once again: SVN has nothing to do with maven. It is a different tool for
different tasks.