Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Mart <M....@herts.ac.uk> on 2016/03/18 11:51:05 UTC

Groovy Console wont start

As anew green user can anyone help me getting the Groovy Console  2.4.6 to
fire up.

I have very little knowledge of Java so Im look for detailed help.

I have looked at the startGroovy.bat placing pauses in the code and found
where it fails but I don’t have the knowledge to go further.

There is a problem somewhere here, the paths exist

"C:\Java\jdk\bin\java.exe"
                "-Xmx128m"
                -Dprogram.name=""
                -Dgroovy.home="C:\Program Files (x86)\Groovy\Groovy-2.4.6"
                -Dtools.jar="C:\Java\jdk\lib\tools.jar"
                -Dgroovy.starter.conf="C:\Program Files
(x86)\Groovy\Groovy-2.4.6\conf\groovy-starter.conf"
                -Dscript.name=""
                -classpath "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Groovy\Groovy-2.4.6\lib\groovy-2.4.6.jar"
                org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter
                --main
                --conf pause

This is the Java error below at the Bottom

Press any key to continue . . .
at have_JAVA_HOME
Press any key to continue . . .
at valid_JAVA_HOME_DIR
Press any key to continue . . .
at valid_JAVA_HOME
Press any key to continue . . .
at check_GROOVY_HOME
Press any key to continue . . .
at execute
Press any key to continue . . .
at after_cp
Press any key to continue . . .
groovy_opts="-Xmx128m" -Dprogram.name="" -Dgroovy.home="C:\Program Files
(x86)\G
roovy\Groovy-2.4.6" -Dtools.jar="C:\Java\jdk\lib\tools.jar"
-Dgroovy.starter.con
f="C:\Program Files (x86)\Groovy\Groovy-2.4.6\conf\groovy-starter.conf"
-Dscript
.name=""
Press any key to continue . . .
"C:\Java\jdk\bin\java.exe" "-Xmx128m" -Dprogram.name=""
-Dgroovy.home="C:\Progra
m Files (x86)\Groovy\Groovy-2.4.6" -Dtools.jar="C:\Java\jdk\lib\tools.jar"
-Dgro
ovy.starter.conf="C:\Program Files
(x86)\Groovy\Groovy-2.4.6\conf\groovy-starter
.conf" -Dscript.name=""  -classpath "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Groovy\Groovy-2.4.6\
lib\groovy-2.4.6.jar" org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter --main  --conf
pau
se
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: --conf
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.tools.RootLoader.findClass(RootLoader.java:179)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.tools.RootLoader.loadClass(RootLoader.java:151)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.rootLoader(GroovyStarter.java
:99)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.main(GroovyStarter.java:131)
Press any key to continue . . .

Re: Groovy Console wont start

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

On 18.03.2016 14:51, Winnebeck, Jason wrote:
> I understand you are green that's fine.
>
> I don't use the installer, so I didn't have groovyConsole.exe, but I did try the installer. My account is not an admin so I installed outside of Program Files, and for whatever reason I got no start menu entries, but all of the files did copy down. If I run groovyConsole.exe directly it did work. I'm not sure how groovyConsole.exe differs from the bat in terms of launching Groovy, or how the exe file is made.
I am not using the exe too (I am using Linux after all), but there are
quite big differences from what I know. But I do know that " --conf
pause" is not right. there should be a conf file in the installation
directory, which is supposed to be used.

bye Jochen

Re: Groovy Console wont start

Posted by Keegan Witt <ke...@gmail.com>.
Curious...it worked on both my Windows 10 home machine and my Windows 7
work machine.  What's you're JAVA_HOME environment variable set to?  Is it
a JDK?

I'm thinking maybe your JAVA_HOME isn't set, and you can't pass where Java
is as an arg because groovy.c
<https://github.com/groovy/groovy-native-launcher/blob/master/source/groovy.c>
doesn't
take any args for groovyConsole.  I've been meaning to update the native
binaries, we've been in need of some changes for a while.  But first I
wanted to move it over to GNU Make so we can actually reliably build these
things (or change to Launch4j -- I'm not sure I get the original author's
objections to that idea).  I just haven't gotten it done yet...

In the mean time, I'd look at setting your JAVA_HOME, or j.ust keep using
the batch file.

-Keegan

Posted by "Winnebeck, Jason" <Ja...@windstream.com>.

Posted by "Winnebeck, Jason" <Ja...@windstream.com>.
Are you calling groovyStart directly? That script takes a built program as a parameter (like one you build). If you want to run Groovy Console that comes with Groovy, you need to run groovysh.bat (for command line version) or groovyConsole.bat (for GUI version).

Jason Winnebeck