Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/07/30 14:09:48 UTC

Re: Excel generator ("Vadim Autoresponder please read")

Sven Kuenzler wrote:

> Good question. ATM, I only could give artificial scenarios.
>
> The real use case I had in mind was the application where I used the
> Serializer out of Cocoon. This application produces an Excel sheet
> which is sent out by Email. So it is not direct a response but a "side
> effect" to the request. In C2 this is called a "sink" (or will be).

Okay I got that part...but it sounds kind of like an action to me.

> If I wanted to port that app to Cocoon, I thought of using a
> Transformer. Then again, probalby I would not really need a
> WriteableSource for that. IIRC, there is a Transformer which could
> take a Serializer to produce the Excel output.

Okay so the issue is that you have *two* outputs of sort.  One is to
email, one is to the browser.  The Excel is to email and probably HTML
to the browser.

In my mind this doesn't justify *breaking* the logical model of the
sitemap.  It seems you need an Action that makes a seperate internal
request of sorts and emails the output.  So the action would make a
request to a different pipeline and email that, where the user response
would be in HTML.

Does that not sound reasonable?  Any thoughts from you Vadim?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: news [mailto:news@main.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Sven Kuenzler
>
> Andrew C. Oliver schrieb:
>
>  >> The real use case I had in mind was the application where I used
the
>  >> Serializer out of Cocoon. This application produces an Excel sheet
>  >> which is sent out by Email. So it is not direct a response but a
"side
>  >> effect" to the request. In C2 this is called a "sink" (or will
be).

It's not yet decided will sink be or not.

>  > Okay I got that part...but it sounds kind of like an action to me.
>
> Well, haven't thought of that (yet). My other idea was about the yet
> be  flow script system. Stefano gave an example save2disk() flow that
> would be able to save a resource defined by sitemap to disk (so
what?).
> This was in the vision department of his RT, however. So I don't
expect
> this soon to be possible.

Ditto.

>  >> If I wanted to port that app to Cocoon, I thought of using a
>  >> Transformer. Then again, probalby I would not really need a
>  >> WriteableSource for that. IIRC, there is a Transformer which could
>  >> take a Serializer to produce the Excel output.
>  >
>  > Okay so the issue is that you have *two* outputs of sort.  One is
>  > email, one is to the browser.  The Excel is to email and probably
HTML
>  > to the browser.
>
> The other part really is a SOAP response. Which isn't possible with C2
> either.

SOAP is XML, so why "isn't possible"?

> Or at least not as easy as with Axis and friends.
>
>  > In my mind this doesn't justify *breaking* the logical model of the
>  > sitemap.  It seems you need an Action that makes a seperate
internal
>  > request of sorts and emails the output.  So the action would make a
>  > request to a different pipeline and email that, where the user
response
>  > would be in HTML.

And with ServerPagesAction it's possible to reuse existing logicsheets.

>  > Does that not sound reasonable?  Any thoughts from you Vadim?

It is reasonable, and doable. But, OTOH, it's easier to do such sings
with "side-effect transformer", like SourceWritingTransformer, on top of
which <slash-edit/> application was built, or XMLDBTransformer (which
can write to XML:DB), etc.

Also, see recent thread on cocoon-dev with links to all previous
discussions, including "cocoon symmetry":

Final decision is not made yet.

Vadim

Posted by Sven Kuenzler <sv...@imost.de>.
Andrew C. Oliver schrieb:

 >> The real use case I had in mind was the application where I used the
 >> Serializer out of Cocoon. This application produces an Excel sheet
 >> which is sent out by Email. So it is not direct a response but a "side
 >> effect" to the request. In C2 this is called a "sink" (or will be).
 >

 > Okay I got that part...but it sounds kind of like an action to me.

Well, haven't thought of that (yet). My other idea was about the yet to
be  flow script system. Stefano gave an example save2disk() flow that
would be able to save a resource defined by sitemap to disk (so what?).
This was in the vision department of his RT, however. So I don't expect
this soon to be possible.

 >> If I wanted to port that app to Cocoon, I thought of using a
 >> Transformer. Then again, probalby I would not really need a
 >> WriteableSource for that. IIRC, there is a Transformer which could
 >> take a Serializer to produce the Excel output.
 >

 > Okay so the issue is that you have *two* outputs of sort.  One is to
 > email, one is to the browser.  The Excel is to email and probably HTML
 > to the browser.

The other part really is a SOAP response. Which isn't possible with C2
either. Or at least not as easy as with Axis and friends.

	Sven