Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2012/02/23 11:00:33 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.10

... release early, release often.

We have a regression in recently released 1.0.9 which can cause
problems on some linux distributions which don't have libcap.so symlink
like Debian and probably few others (DAEMON-242)

Also this release contains site in src dist (which should make sebb happy :)
There are also few minor fixes in reporting version (1.0.9 reported itself as 1.0.8)
so this is fixed as well.

Binaries and sources for testing are at [1], site can be
found at [2]. Tag is [3] which will be renamed to COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_10 if voted.

Please vote (vote will remain open for at least 72 hours).

Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.10 is
   [ ] +1 Release
   [ ] +0 OK, but...
   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

[1] http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.10/
[2] http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.10-site/
[3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/daemon/tags/COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_10_RC1/

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.10

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23 February 2012 20:01, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/23/2012 07:54 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 23 February 2012 10:00, Mladen Turk<mt...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>

>>> [1] http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.10/
>>

>> I'm not sure why there is a jar file under:
>> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.10/binaries/
>> It's already in the binary archives.
>>
>> Not a blocker, just seems unnecessary.
>>

> It's been always there for each release.
> Tomcat build.xml uses it so removing it would
> break the build (well we could probably unpack it from .tar.gz or something)

Or pick it up from a Maven repo, as is presumably done for other
Commons jars consumed by Tomcat.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.10

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 02/23/2012 09:19 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 23/02/2012 11:00, Mladen Turk a écrit :
>
> I have checked again the exact same commands on commons-daemon-1.0.9 and
> compilation went smoothly.

Right, different test and actual commit.
Fixed the typo. Will do RC2 tomorrow and call for another vote.

Thanks for spotting that!

Regards

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 23/02/2012 11:00, Mladen Turk a écrit :
> ... release early, release often.
>
> We have a regression in recently released 1.0.9 which can cause
> problems on some linux distributions which don't have libcap.so symlink
> like Debian and probably few others (DAEMON-242)
>
> Also this release contains site in src dist (which should make sebb
> happy :)
> There are also few minor fixes in reporting version (1.0.9 reported
> itself as 1.0.8)
> so this is fixed as well.
>
> Binaries and sources for testing are at [1], site can be
> found at [2]. Tag is [3] which will be renamed to COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_10
> if voted.
>
> Please vote (vote will remain open for at least 72 hours).
>
> Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.10 is
>   [ ] +1 Release
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [X] -1 I oppose this release because...

I'm sorry, but I got the following compilation error on a Linux box
running Debian on AMD64:

(lehrin) luc% tar xzf commons-daemon-1.0.10-src.tar.gz
(lehrin) luc% cd commons-daemon-1.0.10-src/src/native/unix
(lehrin) luc% JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64 ./configure
*** Current host ***
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking cached host system type... ok
*** C-Language compilation tools ***
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
*** Host support ***
checking C flags dependant on host system type... ok
*** Java compilation tools ***
checking for JDK os include directory... jni_md.h found in
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/include
gcc flags added
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking sys/capability.h usability... no
checking sys/capability.h presence... no
checking for sys/capability.h... no
configure: WARNING: cannot find headers for libcap
*** Writing output files ***
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating Makedefs
config.status: creating native/Makefile
*** All done ***
Now you can issue "make"
(lehrin) luc% make
(cd native; make  all)
make[1]: entrant dans le répertoire «
/home/luc/tmp/commons/commons-daemon-1.0.10-src/src/native/unix/native »
gcc -g -O2 -DOS_LINUX -DDSO_DLFCN -DCPU=\"amd64\" -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes   -I/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/include
-I/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/include -c jsvc-unix.c -o jsvc-unix.o
jsvc-unix.c: In function ‘set_caps’:
jsvc-unix.c:347:28: error: expected expression before ‘int’
jsvc-unix.c:348:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
[-Wreturn-type]
make[1]: *** [jsvc-unix.o] Erreur 1
make[1]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/luc/tmp/commons/commons-daemon-1.0.10-src/src/native/unix/native »
make: *** [native/all] Erreur 2
(lehrin) luc%

I have checked again the exact same commands on commons-daemon-1.0.9 and
compilation went smoothly.

Trying to compile by running the command from make from the shell, I
noticed the error disappeared when -DOS_LINUX was suppressed. I was not
able to track down the various #ifdef (my C is probably too rusty now).
The compiler is gcc 4.6.2.

Luc

[CANCELLED] was: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.10

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Cancelled due to bug when libcap is not present on the system
Already tagged RC2, so will call for another vote when the artifacts gets prepared

Regards
--
^TM