Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by ge...@pobox.com on 2006/06/16 01:58:42 UTC

[classlib] odd problems when running tests under linux...

I just got my ubuntu box setup, and when running the test suite, I see this :

    [junit] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org.apache.harmony.luni.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection
    [junit]     at com.ibm.oti.vm.VM.shutdown(VM.java:264)
    [junit]     at java.lang.Runtime.exitImpl(Native Method)
    [junit]     at java.lang.Runtime.exit(Runtime.java:215)
    [junit]     at java.lang.System.exit(System.java:525)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.main(JUnitTestRunner.java:571)

I'm very willing to entertain the idea that I have something misconfigured
or a wrong version of something - I've been throwing things onto the box
as fast as I can...

I'm under the latest ubuntu v6, have Sun's JDK5 on the machine, got the
latest v3 j9 VM installed... what else do I need to tell you?

geir

Re: [classlib] odd problems when running tests under linux...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> Try to unset JAVA_HOME variable. It helps sometimes...

I'm one of those old-timers that still believes that computers are
deterministic mechanical devices...   "sometimes"??  :)

geir

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Try to unset JAVA_HOME variable. It helps sometimes...

2006/6/16, geir@pobox.com <ge...@pobox.com>:
> I just got my ubuntu box setup, and when running the test suite, I see this :
>
>    [junit] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org.apache.harmony.luni.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection
>    [junit]     at com.ibm.oti.vm.VM.shutdown(VM.java:264)
>    [junit]     at java.lang.Runtime.exitImpl(Native Method)
>    [junit]     at java.lang.Runtime.exit(Runtime.java:215)
>    [junit]     at java.lang.System.exit(System.java:525)
>    [junit]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.main(JUnitTestRunner.java:571)
>

> I'm very willing to entertain the idea that I have something misconfigured
> or a wrong version of something - I've been throwing things onto the box
> as fast as I can...
>
> I'm under the latest ubuntu v6, have Sun's JDK5 on the machine, got the
> latest v3 j9 VM installed... what else do I need to tell you?
>
> geir

Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [classlib] odd problems when running tests under linux...

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
I was thinking we may as well leave the version number the same, since
we don't want to keep the previous v3 hanging around anyway. Ive
overwritten the old package on the download site so noone should
ever get it again. I'm guessing that, since you are the first person
to complain of this, there aren't many others, if any, who have
downloaded the old v3, so simply replacing the v3 package shouldn't
cause much confusion.

Hopefully it will be superseded by a 5.0 v4 in the not too distant
future anyway :)

Please let me know if you have any other problems (in fact, could
you also let me know if you have no problems :) )

Thanks,
Oliver

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [classlib] odd problems when running tests under linux...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@runbox.com>.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>
>> geir@pobox.com wrote:
>>
>>> I just got my ubuntu box setup, and when running the test suite, I see
>>> this :
>>>
>>>     [junit] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>>> org.apache.harmony.luni.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection
>>>

>> This package was renamed a while back. It's now
>> org.apache.harmony.luni.internal.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection
>> (!), and the
>> latest J9 VME kernels have those changes reflected in their code, which
>> leads me to
>> think that you might have an old version of the kernel classes.
>>

>> Could you tell me if in your jre/bin/default directory there is a single
>> kernel.jar
>> or two jars, luni-kernel.jar and security-kernel.jar?
>>

> two.
>
> This is a brand new machine (it was an T42 running windows until about
> 4pm yesterday), and it got v3 of the j9 vm yesterday... do I don't think
> I "crossed the beams" - this is the only j9vm it's ever had.

Right, think Ive found the cause - looks like I mistakenly included a
version of com.ibm.oti.vm.VM.class
in the kernel on Linux that had that old package name in (don't ask me
how - must have been a friday
afternoon :( )

I have replaced the VME v3 for Linux on DeveloperWorks with a one that
contains the updated kernel.
Please try this one and let me know how you get on - sorry for the
hassle caused.

> Doesn't anyone else see this?

I guess everyone else was still using the v2 and just moved the files
over - v2 had the correct
package names in. Also, the Windows v3 contains the right package
references.

Thanks for finding this!

Regards,
Oliver

> (thx)
>
> geir

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [classlib] odd problems when running tests under linux...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.

geir@pobox.com wrote:
> I just got my ubuntu box setup, and when running the test suite, I see this :
>
>     [junit] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org.apache.harmony.luni.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection

This package was renamed a while back. It's now
org.apache.harmony.luni.internal.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection
(!), and the
latest J9 VME kernels have those changes reflected in their code, which
leads me to
think that you might have an old version of the kernel classes.

Could you tell me if in your jre/bin/default directory there is a single
kernel.jar
or two jars, luni-kernel.jar and security-kernel.jar?

>     [junit]     at com.ibm.oti.vm.VM.shutdown(VM.java:264)
>     [junit]     at java.lang.Runtime.exitImpl(Native Method)
>     [junit]     at java.lang.Runtime.exit(Runtime.java:215)
>     [junit]     at java.lang.System.exit(System.java:525)
>     [junit]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.main(JUnitTestRunner.java:571)
>

> I'm very willing to entertain the idea that I have something misconfigured
> or a wrong version of something - I've been throwing things onto the box
> as fast as I can...
>
> I'm under the latest ubuntu v6, have Sun's JDK5 on the machine, got the
> latest v3 j9 VM installed... what else do I need to tell you?
>
> geir

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited