Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ja...@charter.net on 2006/01/26 10:09:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Multiple httpd instances on startup? (OS X)

Okay, so I was able to compile and install Apache 2.2.0 on my system as recommended by other users here, and everything went okay until I tried to start it.  I then got the following error messages:

(13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

Right away I saw there was a permission problem, so I ran the apachectl command under "sudo".  When I ran top, I saw there were 5 instances of httpd running with pid's in the 28000 range (28328-28333 to be exact).

Is this normal to see?  Have I done something wrong or do I need to change something?  Thanks in advance for any info.

James

RE: [users@httpd] Multiple httpd instances on startup? (OS X)

Posted by Yanbin Ma <ym...@competitrack.com>.
I am guessing one of the two:
	* another program was using port 80
	* you did not use "root" when you ran apachectl

Yanbin Ma
Competitrack Inc.
718-482-4284