Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/11 22:05:46 UTC

Handling a license violation

Hi,

I've encountered a project that has taken a part of the Apache
Jackrabbit codebase, replaced the license headers, renamed the
org.apache.jackrabbit packages, and released the resulting code as a
part of a larger application under the GPL with no mention of the
Apache License or the NOTICE file.

I believe and hope that the issue can be resolved simply by politely
asking them to honor the conditions of section 4 of the Apache
License. But before doing that and to avoid potential pitfalls I would
appreciate pointers to or advice on how similar cases have best been
handled before.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [OT] Re: Handling a license violation

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@apache.org> wrote:
>> and how _not_ to handle a license violation ....
>>
>> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/229740/bd7701b1407c8498/
>
> Respectfully suggest the committee link to this on a FAQ - superb page.

heh, in a week I'll post a followup link to the article, which would be
a better link. Blinded by the timeliness of the topic this morning, I
posted the subscriber link. Careless of me.

 -jean

Re: [OT] Re: Handling a license violation

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On 4/12/07, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@apache.org> wrote:
> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > Jukka,
> >
> > exact details and email draft (of what you want to send to them) to
> > legal-internal please.
>
> and how _not_ to handle a license violation ....
>
> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/229740/bd7701b1407c8498/

Respectfully suggest the committee link to this on a FAQ - superb page.

Thanks Jean,

Hen

[OT] Re: Handling a license violation

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Jukka,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 12 April 2007 04:05, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> I believe and hope that the issue can be resolved simply by politely
> asking them to honor the conditions of section 4 of the Apache
> License.

IANAL, but I think this is the most apparent resolve.

Mind you, if this is an FSF backed project, and it is ALv2, then FSF will have
additional opinion about the use of ALv2 in GPL'd code.
Also, there are "common sense" concerns relating to "fair use" which shouldn't
trigger licensing requirements. Sun for instance, is Ok with 5-10 lines and I
think FSF is recommending 10 lines as the limit of "copy" before licensing
terms kicks in. So, if it is only a really small block, I would not bother.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Handling a license violation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 16:14 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Yes - it's a violation, removing LICENSE/NOTICE removes their only
> right to distribute the package, leaving them with no right whatsoever.

+1

the GPL exempts local modifications. distribution (or not) is less
important for the apache license. they have no right to sublicense,
create copies or derivative works either.

they need to restore LICENSE, NOTICE and license headers now. they
should add clear notes in each source file indicating that they have
modified our source and indicating the license for the derivative work
(if it is not the AL).

IMHO the matter of releasing the combined work under the GPL should be
left to the FSF, not the ASF. not everyone agrees that the apache
license is incompatible with GPLv2. apache respects the views of the FSF
on this matter for ethical reasons (not legal ones). it would be
courteous to inform the FSF about possible GPL issues with the codebase
but leave compliance to the FSF.

BTW might be a good idea to run the email you intend to send past
legal-internal before you send it

- robert

Re: Handling a license violation

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.