Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2020/09/01 07:55:42 UTC

Re: Cloudstack + CEPH and Erasure Coding

Hi Mauro,

I think you can create a data pool on ceph first and then add it as a storage pool in CloudStack with a storage tag and then create specific compute/disk offering with that storage tag to force VM's root disk and data disks to be deployed on the specific Ceph pool where erasure coding was configured.

Regards.

________________________________
Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
Erasure code has its ups and downs such as replication; the most
interesting part is the reduction of the total volume you need, since it
requires "less" volume of disks to store the same amount of data as in
replication mode.  CloudStack does not support it yet. To use erasure
coding you need a replication pool for metadata and then you direct the
data of the volume to an erasure code pool. KVM supports it, but ACS does
not have the code to handle this feature yet. The same happens with multi
MON deployments. KVM can use it natively, but ACS does not support it (as
far as I remember),

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Cloudstack + CEPH and Erasure Coding

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

not sure if using the erasure coding pool is supported - is the syntax for
creating an image different than for the replicated pool image? If so -
than definitively it's not supported

Otherwise, EC is slower than a replicated pool - not sure that is something
you want to use with
(already-slower-than-optimal-since-it's-distributed-storage) CEPH.

Cheers,

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 21:28, Mauro Ferraro - G2K Hosting <
mferraro@g2khosting.com> wrote:

> Hi Rohit!, thank you very much for answer us.
>

> About this, we have an erasure code pool at ceph, so we can create an
> image and then we must specify where the metadata and data pool is
> located. When we add the erasure code pool as Storage in Cloudstack we
> can't set the datapool, so when we add a VM it shows an error.  We asume
> that Cloudstack do something like this in Ceph:
>

> /rbd create DISCO --size 4096 -p PoolErasure/
>
> /rbd: create error: (95) Operation not supported/
>
> /
> /
>
> _/And must be:/_
>
> /
> /
>
> /rbd create --size 4096 --data-pool DataPool PoolErasure/DISCO/
>
> /
> /
>
> /Example:
>
> https://documentation.suse.com/ses/6/html/ses-all/cha-ceph-erasure.html#ec-rbd
> /
>
> //
>
> There is not a field at Cloudstack to set this, so it fails when
> creating a VM in this storage.
>

> In replicated ceph configuration is working fine because there is just
> one Pool so you don't need to set more options at Cloudstack.
>

> There is a way to set the data pool at cloudstack in other way?.
>

> Regards,
>

> El 1/9/2020 a las 04:55, Rohit Yadav escribió:
> > Hi Mauro,
> >
> > I think you can create a data pool on ceph first and then add it as a
> > storage pool in CloudStack with a storage tag and then create specific
> > compute/disk offering with that storage tag to force VM's root disk
> > and data disks to be deployed on the specific Ceph pool where erasure
> > coding was configured.
> >

> > Regards.
> >
> > rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
> > www.shapeblue.com
> > @shapeblue

Andrija Panić

Re: Cloudstack + CEPH and Erasure Coding

Posted by Mauro Ferraro - G2K Hosting <mf...@g2khosting.com>.