Posted to user@sis.apache.org by Дмитрий Кудрявцев <db...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/28 13:40:32 UTC

SIS Shapefile API

Hello!

I'm currently developing application, reading shapefiles with SIS, and it
was OK, while I was using its trunk version as the plugin project for
Eclipse. However, now I need to create the p2 repository of the library and
I encountered copule of problems: Shapefile class exposes two features -
ShapefileDescriptor and DBase3FieldDescriptor, but both classes are
internal, so I can no longer use them. Is there any workaround for the
problem?

And one more. Could you please tell, when the Shapefile API will be
released?

Thanks,
Dmitry Kudryavtsev

Re: SIS Shapefile API

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello

Le 28/03/2018 à 15:40, Дмитрий Кудрявцев a écrit :

> I'm currently developing application, reading shapefiles with SIS, and
> it was OK, while I was using its trunk version as the plugin project
> for Eclipse. However, now I need to create the p2 repository of the
> library and I encountered copule of problems: Shapefile class exposes
> two features -  ShapefileDescriptor and DBase3FieldDescriptor, but
> both classes are internal, so I can no longer use them. Is there any
> workaround for the problem?

We do not yet have a workaround, unfortunately. The API should be GeoAPI
as much as possible, completed by non-internal API for the parts not
covered by GeoAPI. But the Shapefile module has been developed in a
different way; it does not leverage international standards a lot. There
is also some misunderstanding, for example features are returned in an
java.io.InputStream while they should be returned in a
java.util.stream.Stream.

> And one more. Could you please tell, when the Shapefile API will be
> released?

I think that the Shapefile module needs changes before it can be
released; at least it should be retrofitted in standard geospatial API.
We did not had the time to do this work yet. I do not know yet when this
time would come… Alternatively if there is volunteer for taking this
task, that could be an opportunity to get involved in Apache SIS?

    Regards,

        Martin