Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Brian Devaney <bd...@docfinity.com> on 2012/08/27 22:35:34 UTC

Synchronizing Timer and Load Tests

I am running into a problem with the Synchronizing Timer in a load test
with large numbers of users.  According to the documentation, if the
Number of Simulated Users to Group By is set to 0, then the timer will
wait for the number of thread in the thread group to accumulate before
releasing.  That part is working for me, but the problem I run into is
that when I run the script and any thread generates an error and stops,
the whole test comes to a halt because the timer is looking for 100
threads before releasing and only 99 are present because of the error.

Is there any way to set the timer so that it will wait for the total
number of running threads and then release?  I did not see any values
that might indicate a running thread count in the debug values displayed
in the Tree View.  Thank you in advance.

--

Brian Devaney
Software Developer

DISCLAIMER: This email may contain proprietary information, some or all
of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient
only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email,
please notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the
intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,
or rely on this email.

Re: Synchronizing Timer and Load Tests

Posted by Oliver Lloyd <ol...@hotmail.com>.
According to the docs the `Number of simultaneous users to group by` is:

"Number of threads to release at once. Setting it to 0 is equivalent to setting it to the Number of threads in the thread group".

Therefore, if you want the synch timer to trigger using 100 threads you should set this value to 100. If there are only 100 threads in the thread group, and if one of these threads stops because of an error, then it is logical that the timer is never triggered because it will never see 100 threads running.

What you could try is:

1. Increasing the number of threads in the thread group to, say 110, and keeping the synch timer set to 100, in the hope that this adds some robustness. (Not ideal.)
or 2. Changing the `Action to be taken after a sampler error` in the thread group to something like `Start Next Thread Loop`.

Of course, these values depend on the wider context of your test but I would imagine you can get the effect you need by playing around with them.