Posted to dev@senssoft.apache.org by "Gimenez, Clayton C." <cg...@draper.com> on 2016/10/05 19:32:24 UTC

SensSoft Website Demo

Hi all,

Kicking off another website-related brainstorming thread to keep things organized.  This time about what form a in-page demo would look like on senssoft.i.a.o.  I’ve heard a lot of interest in having a demo embedded directly into the website, ideally on the homepage, logging how the user interacts with the site itself.

It’s simple enough to include something like at http://draperlaboratory.github.io/useralejs/demo, without any need for backend processing.  We can definitely leverage the infrastructure we’re standing up for testing and dev to do a more elaborate demo, including processing with Distill, and then embed some of the Tap visualizations in our site.

What does a good and compelling demo look like?  What’s the story we want to tell users of the site that demonstrates the value of SensSoft as quickly and clearly as possible?  And how do we tell it?

Thanks,
Clay
________________________________
Notice: This email and any attachments may contain proprietary (Draper non-public) and/or export-controlled information of Draper. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this email and immediately destroy all copies of this email.
________________________________

RE: SensSoft Website Demo

Posted by "Poore, Joshua C." <jp...@draper.com>.
Thanks for moving this discussion to dev, @Clay!

Let's couch your last set of questions into where do we want to end up with our demo.  @Lewis has already outlined a very solid Q4 roadmap https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENSSOFT/Roadmap

In addition to a full release, it is essential to get our message out through this website to spur community growth. Too much time spent on getting a 200% demo running on the website means that we're not engaging the community. So within the month we need to get something running that designed for growth, but I'll take an 80% solution in the interim. The userale.js and tap demo as is, is already generating interest. A customer told me last Thursday RE SensSoft, "we need this tomorrow", and they already have GA implemented in their workflow. We're limiting our exposure by not pushing what we have out now.

What we need for the demo in the near term, I think is:
1. Show our data--log on the website
        a. Agree that a simple derivative of http://draperlaboratory.github.io/useralejs/demo is phoning it in. We need to start there, So thoughts             on how to make it more compelling in the near-term:
                1. Make the layout of the page compelling so that users can see how the         logs are different. Embed all kinds of buttons for one                  click subscription to our mailing lists--encourages them to explore the sites' content to see how different elements will be logged,                    but build the content wisely so that clicks generate data for us to use in modeling and help us get people subscribed and engaged                       in our discussions. Also, we could build a little survey on the page, like a little buzz feed--get people telling us what they would use                this for, who they are and why they are interested?
                2. Make some of the elements on the page themselves compelling. You mentioned that it would be possible to get origin IP and                    reference where those IP's are located on a map? Let's do it. That's awesome!
                3. Make it easy for people to grok userale data. As they generate logs can we highlight their logs so they can easily read the log                      structure? That kind of interactive feature will pull a crowd.
                4. Toggle on and off logging like we did with Alias: let people freeze the logs they are looking at and then maybe with tool tips,                      give them a description of each component of logs (target, path, etc., etc.)
2. Show our insights--visual analytics on the website
        a. People get TAP, they get it's a sandbox and they get what comes out of the box, more importantly they get that more is coming. Some          ideas for what we can do now:
                1. Use the A/B testing feature in tap to look at average log frequencies for a given users' session by element of the website,                  compared to all previous data in our DB. Refresh frequently for interaction
                2. A nice detailed walkthrough of Bowie with tool tips.
                3. If we can build the website around central features that will really pop out in Bowie, +1
                4. Layout for TAP features on the website will be important.
3. Deployment guide referencing containers for SensSoft v1
        a. Can we make this interactive, with nice tool tips, graphics, and links to our videos which should be available by the end of the month?
3. Other important Things:
        a. An email service with "from" that goes "to" our user mailing list for nominating new features.