Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Zak Ziggy <za...@hotmail.com> on 2002/04/10 10:02:02 UTC

cgi-bin Zombie proccesses [possibly OSX related question]

Okay I noticed under my own extremely bizzare situation a possible problem.

I have a cgi-bin proccess that is tring to connect with a socket to a
session container type proccess. It actually is using a globally capable
Portable Distributed Objects (PDO) System I built (because OSX failed to
make NSConnections work correctly, or work at all from inside the apache
cgi-bin, [unlike it did in OpenStep ... six months later Arrghh]).
This one I made is global as I said, it actually uses a Hub Server on a
certain port for getting names registered for the PDO system to work.
The point ...
Well I made it so each registered proccess has a secondary thread that
maintains the registration with the hub, and so if you kill the HubServer
process, it will restart it.
If the cgi-bin connector finds the Hub unconnectable first it starts the
HubServer. This is part of the Connection Framework's basic shared
functionality.
The problem ...
When the cgi-bin process starts the other process with nohup (No Hangup)
[and I redirected the output via something like 'nohup HubServer 2>>&
logfile'], the cgi-bin process becomes a ZOMBIE process ... it hangs around
until the child is terminated! (I do not want it to do that!)

Unfortunately the Browsers hang searching for the end of the process.
In the case of OmniWeb it Displays no picture in the case of an image being
returned (banner system), and hangs locked out jammed (reallly bad the
worst). In the case of Netscape the image shows but the page download
animated icon shows it is still busy.
I believe that Apache should be responsible for letting go of ZOMBIE's in
the cgi-bin. What can anybody say about this? Is this a Bug? Should I inform
Apache about the Bug and where to I sent that message? (An email address
please?)