Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeffrey Crouse <je...@urbart.com> on 2003/04/25 15:54:07 UTC

Apache won't start after httpd.config modification

[sorry for the resend - I accidently sent without a subject before]

Hello,

I have been trying to install Tomcat on my local machine running OS X for
some time, but unfortunately I am not very good at this sort of thing, and I
have gotten stuck.

I have been following the instructions on the apple website
(http://developer.apple.com/internet/java/tomcat1.html), and have gotten it
running as a stand-alone service, but I am having trouble integrating it
with Apache.

I have downloaded the mod_webapp module and installed it at
/usr/libexec/httpd/ with all of the other Apache modules.

I have added a LoadModule directive to my httpd.conf file, which points to
the correct location, as well as an AddModule directive.

Finally, I have added this IfModule directive, which is what I think is
causing problems.

# port 8008 is correct, not a typo
<IfModule mod_webapp.c>
    WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
    WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
</IfModule>

Now, when I try to restart apache, I get the following message:

    /usr/sbin/apachectl restart: configuration broken, ignoring restart
    /usr/sbin/apachectl restart: (run 'apachectl configtest' for details)

And when I run apachectl configtest, I get this message:

    Syntax error on line 298 of /etc/httpd/httpd.conf:
    Invalid virtual host name

I have tried using 127.0.0.1:8008 in place of localhost:8008, but neither
has worked.

Any help would be appreciated,
-Jeff