Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2019/01/14 13:25:07 UTC

Re: Incubator exit interview

Isn't that starting off on the wrong foot?.... off list communication, non-transparancy,
treating the VP of the PMC as "more" than an administrative position, etc...

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Currently only a couple of people have access to the feedback directly, but my intent is for all the IPMC to have access. Anything that come up from the feedback will be brought back to the list and discussed. I’m just not sure how to arrange that, currently if any other IPMC members want access please ask. We’ve only had a couple filled in and already identified one issue which has been raised on the dev list. The intent is just to get feedback on who the incubator is going and if there’s anything that can be improved, some people are more direct and will provide feedback directly onto mailing list but by making anonymous I think we’ll get better quality feedback. If this experiment proves helpful then we see what be can do to improve openness and access, if not we’ll stop using it.

Perhaps we could add a tick box (or two) - do yo want this to be public? And if ticked send response to IPMC private or incubator dev list? Or pears just send all responses to IPMC private list so all the IPMC have access?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Incubator exit interview

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi All

As Julian mentions, my understanding is that this is about information collection not about decision making. The more information we have that is relevant could encourage more focussed discussion and help us see if there is something unclear in the documentation or process.

If there is concern about talking to the PMC Chair only then perhaps it can be balanced by making the interview offer available to the PMC, the Committers or whole community.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
What Roman said.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

On 1/14/2019 1:01 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> I don’t think the “decisions should be made on-list” principle applies to all communication. (Otherwise why would we allow hallway conversations at conferences?) I’d rather that we make better decisions than be slave to principle.

It really does apply to everything.  Even if you have the best meeting
in the world, you bring back minutes and decisions made off list for
ratification.  That way there is then an archive of the decision and
everyone can participate.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Incubator exit interview

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
I don’t think the “decisions should be made on-list” principle applies to all communication. (Otherwise why would we allow hallway conversations at conferences?) I’d rather that we make better decisions than be slave to principle.

These interviews would be in addition to on-list surveys.

Julian