Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Elhanan Maayan <el...@migdal-group.co.il> on 2006/08/31 15:35:54 UTC

yet another struts eulogy?

this:

http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=JSFTapestry

so the question continues with new applications

go for struts 1.3

learn webwork 2.2  (webwork in action, or developing web apps with  lightweight
framework ) and then go to struts 2.0 (struts in ww clothing?)

use J.S.F

commit suiciide by using shale for production?

use tapestry with almost not vendor support?

Re: yet another struts eulogy?

Posted by fausto mancini <ma...@tiscali.it>.
i want to subscribe this post... scenario is becoming really confused for
the developer...

Posted by Simon Chappell <si...@gmail.com>.
On 8/31/06, Elhanan Maayan <el...@migdal-group.co.il> wrote:
> this:
>
> http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=JSFTapestry
>
> so the question continues with new applications
>
> go for struts 1.3
>
> learn webwork 2.2  (webwork in action, or developing web apps with  lightweight
> framework ) and then go to struts 2.0 (struts in ww clothing?)
>
> use J.S.F
>
> commit suiciide by using shale for production?
>
> use tapestry with almost not vendor support?

You forgot "use struts 1.1 because you work for a large corporation
and that's the only thing approved for use and you'll be fired if
you're caught using anything else".

That's my favourite option. ;-)

Simon
--
www.simonpeter.org

Re: yet another struts eulogy?

Posted by Monkeyden <mo...@gmail.com>.
If you're looking for someone to tell you which is the best framework, you
won't find the answer here, because there isn't one.  You have to determine
which framework best suits your preferences, your organization, the current
development resources/assets and most of all, the requirements.

If you're looking for someone to tell you which you should learn, to get a
jump on the next opportunity, the answer is 'all of them.'  Of course this
isn't realistic because we all have lives and don't care to have
'enrichment' consume our every waking moment, but you could conceivably know
*something *about all of them.  Add to that, my belief that you don't truly
know a framework until you've COMPLETED a project which uses it.

I'm reminded of a great Physiology professor I had in college (I was in a
Physical Therapy degree program before switching to CS) who, when asked what
we needed to know for exams, responded only with "Know everything."

Posted by David Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
One last note since Tapestry was brought up...  Anyone notice something
called "Cognition" (http://www.thelabllc.com/lab/Home.page)  It looks like a
Tapestry equivalent to AppFuse (https://appfuse.dev.java.net) but wait,
appFuse can already build with Tapestry so I guess having the other
framework options in the same place makes some people nervous that Tapestry
might lose what market share it does have....

I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right Matt? (rhetorical
of course)

Enough ranting for me (speaking of Ranting, aren't we in a "DJ" posting lull
this month?  Must be his vacation or I missed him leaving *shrug*), now back
to list "programming" issues. :)

Regards,
David

RE: yet another struts eulogy?

Posted by David Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
The article is a one year old pro-tapestry piece (August 2005) for their
upcoming 4.0 version so of course it would try to beat down other popular
frameworks for attention.  Since it is so old we can hardly call it "yet
another"  plus, it is too old to consider changes in the Struts, WebWork and
JSF fronts like:

a) Struts 1.X updates this past year
b) Struts 1.3 (now in beta, then just a thought)
c) The time it takes to split off Tiles into a standalone
d) How JSF has matured with the recent JSF 1.2_02 spec update
   and RI release
e) How Shale has greatly stabilized and what it can add to JSF
f) How Facelets makes JSF XXX times easier
g) Struts 2.0 which integrates so much "Struts" with "Webwork" plus the 2.0
"JSF" compatibility and communication features for dual-use sites

Yes, I am nitpicking but if you point out another death article as if it is
news then we should have some contrary perspective.  Besides, I personally
don't like Tapestry or Wicket though I've read through the tutorials to give
them a fair chance, probably about a year ago.

Regards,
David