Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Vladimir Rodionov <vr...@carrieriq.com> on 2013/07/22 19:56:30 UTC

Smarter Region assignment policy?

It seems that current (0.94.6) region assignment on start up policy is not that smart and does not utilize hdfs block locality
Are there any open HBase JIRA ticket(s) that addresses the issue?

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Notifications@carrieriq.com and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.

RE: Smarter Region assignment policy?

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vr...@carrieriq.com>.
Looks like an easy patch?
Any rationals behind this decisions (not to retain region locations)?

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Is there ever a reason to not attempt retaining assignments?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Yep. Seems stale. You can try to comment on it to revive.

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vr...@carrieriq.com>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
This is the one:

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.
I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6143 a while ago.

Basically there are three methods on the balancer.  One that does a
real and true balance.  There are two others that are used for quick
assignment.  Those two don't take into account all of the balancing
rules and locality info.  We should really consolidate everything into
one method that has some idea of time given.

The preferred nodes stuff is good but it's really breaking the
contract of what the method names say they will do.  So we should just
make everything named well and use the same code path.  I'm currently
off on tracing (spoilers it's awesome) right now but I plan to help
finish of the polishing of the balancer shortly.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.