Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by cooper5114 <sc...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/07 14:19:31 UTC

cannot seem to see deployed application

I'm very new to Tomcat so bear with me.

I ran into a problem where i couldn't access an application (x.war) that i
copied to Tomcat's webapps directory. I verified the $CATALINA_HOME env
variable points to that tomcat. The ip address/port are fine, etc. I can get
to the default Tomcat home page. Any suggestions how to debug this? There is
only one copy of tomcat running.

So in trying to figure out what was going on, i edited the
webapps/ROOT/index.jsp page to verify that it would change. It didn't. So i
figured it must be cached, so i killed my browser, restarted. No change. I
also deleted $CATALINA_HOME/work directory (which i believe is used for
caching). No change

Any clues?

Re: cannot seem to see deployed application

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <to...@list-post.mks-mail.de>.
cooper5114:

> So in trying to figure out what was going on, i edited the
> webapps/ROOT/index.jsp page to verify that it would change. It didn't. So i
> figured it must be cached, so i killed my browser, restarted. No change. I
> also deleted $CATALINA_HOME/work directory (which i believe is used for
> caching). No change

If you take a look at the web.xml of the default ROOT webapp that is
shipped with Tomcat, you'll see that /index.jsp is mapped to the
pre-compiled servlet that's generated from ROOT/index.jsp, not to the
JSP servlet that would compile it on access.
Therefore, what you observed is exactly what is to be expected and
doesn't help with tracking down the problem you have.

But that's just a side note.
To really get help with solving the problem, you should continue to
answer Mark's questions and follow his advice.

Regards
   mks

Re: cannot seem to see deployed application

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
cooper5114 wrote:
> it's a clean download tar.gz from apache.

When you copied x.war to webapps, did it expand into a x directory? If
so, is the contents what you expect? If not, did you change anything in
server.xml? Are the permissions on the file correct?

Mark

Posted by cooper5114 <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by cooper5114 <sc...@gmail.com>.