Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Kenneth Eversole <ke...@cloudflare.com.INVALID> on 2023/04/13 17:39:32 UTC

Max Multi Tenancy topic naming - Cloudflare

Hello,

I am on the Kafka team at Cloudflare, and I was hoping to find an answer on
what the max value is for the following subject,
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#multitenancy-topic-naming. We are
looking this for a workload that would bring us in the 100,000s of topics.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Kenneth

Re: Max Multi Tenancy topic naming - Cloudflare

Posted by Kenneth Eversole <ke...@cloudflare.com.INVALID>.
Hello,

I apologize for the lack of clarity in the question, this is a new area we
are exploring.

Frankly speaking, we would love to know the answer to both. I have read
that there is an upper limit to partitions, 200k with zookeeper and 2mill
with Kraft, but I have not found anything if there is a correlation between
topics. This also goes for the isolate permissions to name spaces is there
a correlation between the partition limit here and the limit allowed for
this feature?

Kenneth Eversole

Re: Max Multi Tenancy topic naming - Cloudflare

Posted by Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kenneth

I am not sure I understand your question here. I am confused because the
documentation link that you provided points to a best practice (naming
topics based on namespace) and how to enforce it. It doesn't point to a
configuration which would have a range of values.

Did you mean to ask how many topics can be supported in a cluster? Or did
you want to ask if there is an upper ceiling to the number of ACL
configurations applied to isolate permissions to namespaces?

--
Divij Vaidya

Posted by Kenneth Eversole <ke...@cloudflare.com.INVALID>.
Hello Everyone,