Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Domenico <dd...@amano.com> on 2001/08/02 17:29:50 UTC

Code Red Worm virus

I am running Tomcat 3.2.1 standalone for development purposes, as a web
server using port 80. Yesterday I noticed the message, see below, on my
Tomcat console window. This is identified as the "Code Red" virus as noted
in the http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-19.html. The advisory states
that the system may not have been compromised, but I am still concerned.

I notified our network administrator and he applied the neccessary patchs
from MS. However I am not running IIS. Does anyone know of a problem with
Tomcat and the code red virus? I will download the latest release build,
Tomcat 3.2.3. and install it.

Full  GET
/default.ida?NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNN
NNNNNNN%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7
801%
u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a  HTTP/1.0

regards,

David Domenico
Software Engineer

"We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course,
powerful muscles, but no personality." - Albert Einstein

                    MIS@Amano.com

              for the presence of computer viruses.

RE: Code Red Worm virus

Posted by Loïc Lefèvre <ll...@fivia.com>.
look at:
http://securityfocus.com/ and search for it ;)

Posted by Brandon Cruz <bc...@norvax.com>.

RE: Code Red Worm virus

Re: Code Red Worm virus

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, David Domenico wrote:

| I am running Tomcat 3.2.1 standalone for development purposes, as a web
| server using port 80. Yesterday I noticed the message, see below, on my
| Tomcat console window. This is identified as the "Code Red" virus as noted
| in the http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-19.html. The advisory states
| that the system may not have been compromised, but I am still concerned.
|
| I notified our network administrator and he applied the neccessary patchs
| from MS. However I am not running IIS. Does anyone know of a problem with
| Tomcat and the code red virus? I will download the latest release build,
| Tomcat 3.2.3. and install it.

It's a "binary virus", affects ONLY IIS. All binary viruses works like
this, they are highly targeted towars one specific platform. Java is a
totally different platform, and won't get affected by IIS' i386 "binary
viruses"..

--
Mvh,
Endre