Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2004/02/20 23:34:00 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.6.2 now available

Hi everyone,

The Xerces-J team is pleased to announce that version 2.6.2 of Xerces-J is
now available.

As well as containing a few performance improvements and several minor bug
fixes, this release fixes several bugs which a number of users encountered
with version 2.6.1. This release requires JDK 1.2 or later to run and also
requires JDK 1.2 or later to build the source code.

It was decided soon after the 2.6.1 release [1] that Xerces-J and Xalan-J
will be moving towards a common base for serialization code.  As a first
step in this effort the HTML and XHTML serializers
(org.apache.xml.serialize) have been deprecated.  Alternative
serialization methods are described in the Xerces-J documentation [2].

Specifically, the significant changes introduced in this release are:

* Fixed a bug in the specification of the XML Schema API. Some of the
method signatures did not match the signatures in the implementation.
[Elena Litani]

* Fixed a bug introduced in 2.6.1 which caused the XMLSerializer to
automatically expand entity references and convert CDATA sections to text.
[Elena Litani]

* Fixed a possible security hole regarding class loading. [Neeraj Bajaj]

* Improved class initialization for the XMLChar and XML11Char classes to
reduce the cost of loading Xerces. [Michael Glavassevich]

* Fixed a SAX conformance bug involving spurious prefix mapping events
with namespace support turned off. [Michael Glavassevich]

* Made message localization changes. [Neil Delima, Michael Glavassevich]

* Fixed schema related bugs. [Sandy Gao]

* Fixed various bugs. [Curt Arnold, Michael Glavassevich, Kohsuke
Kawaguchi, Naela Nissar]

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xalan-dev&m=107593381313807&w=2
[2] http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-general.html#faq-5

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.6.2 now available

Posted by Mikko Honkala <ho...@tml.hut.fi>.
Hello,

I understand that the release was not planned, but I also find it
strange that move from JDK 1.1 -> JDK 1.2 happens in a X.X.2 release,
which should be mainly a maintenance or bug fix release. This is a large
architectural change for many projects, including ours, X-Smiles.

There are many java environments, where a validating parser is needed,
which do not support JDK 1.2; MHP, Kaffe, some applet environments, etc.

-mikko

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu>.

--